Aspect Ratio Control on DVD players

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by David Sanchez, Jan 9, 2003.

1. David Sanchez

Are there any DVD players under $400 that will allow you to adjust the aspect ratio of the picture. New players seem to have the 3:2 pull down, but it's fixed. Thanks

2. Patrick TX

Patrick TX Stunt Coordinator

Do you mean scaling or zooming? If so, this is the best deal available IMO. It has a beautiful Chroma Bug free picture, all the connections, decent remote, & scales wonderfully! It plays any damn format I can possibly throw at it, except SACD (DVD-Audio instead). I replaced a Panny CP72K with it & am super pleased. The Panny RP-91 also scales, but is twice the price. Not worth it to me, as DVD player technology is rapidly improving.
    http://www.vanns.com/avcom/De.dna?RG...cSKU&com=shwpg
    http://www.crutchfield.com/S-4VWlLQE...p?i=257XVA600B

3. Dmitry

Dmitry Supporting Actor

Patrick, does it allow you to manually select scaling? There are quite a few non-anamorphic letterboxed DVDs that are not detected automatically (The original Psycho being one of them, for instance). Panasonic allows me to explicitly set the scaling mode on. What about this JVC?

4. MancusoB

MancusoB Agent

Is there a difference between scaling and zooming?

I note that the Panasonic CP72 offers "4:3 TV Zoom" whereas the JVC XV-SA600 offers 13 step zoom. Is this referred to as "scaling" also?

5. Patrick TX

The scaling is done manually via the remote, 13 steps. 4:3 TV zoom is different than scaling. Scaling, or zooming increases the overall size of the image. If one has a 16:9 TV and doesn't want any black bars on 2:35 material, they need a player that scales. Most action movies are 2:35 these days, which BITES! I wish they were all 1:85!

6. MancusoB

MancusoB Agent

Interesting. Thanks for the response.

I was considering the Panasonic CP72, but there seems to be more to the JVC at a better price.

7. Patrick TX

8. AnthonyJS

AnthonyJS Agent

The Toshiba line also offers zooming:

SD-3800 -> silver finish
    SD-3805 -> 5-disc version of above
    SD-4800 -> black finish w/ DVD-Audio (same video as SD-3800)

9. Patrick TX

The Toshibas offer the Chroma Bug as well. Still nice players though, especially with a smaller TV.

10. jeff lam

jeff lam Screenwriter

Jeff Lam
    David,
    Do you have a 16x9 TV or 4x3 TV. If you have a 4x3 TV, the scaling feature won't matter. It is a must for 16x9 TV's that lock into full mode when fed a progressive signal. It will allow you to use the "Full" mode on your 16x9 TV with non-anamorphic discs. With most of the current TV's now, they no longer lock into full mode so it's a moot point. Scaling is still better than zoom but this won't matter if you have a 4x3 tv, you will just let it letterbox like normal.

11. Patrick TX

I have a 16:9 55" Mitsubishi HDTV that doesn't allow formatting of the progressive input. It will format an interlaced signal (who cares). It locks into whatever the softwares inherent aspect ratio is. What is the difference between zoom & scale on a DVD Player?

12. Grant H

Grant H Cinematographer

For those of you who may be interested in the new Philips DVD 963SA (a CES Innovation Award winner), the www.philips.com site lists in regards to zoom and aspect ratio control this info:
    Zoom (x1.33, x 2, x 4) with picture enhancement.
    Aspect Ratio Conversion (16:9, 4:3 letterbox, 4:3 pan and scan)
    Now, whether the aspect ratio conversion modes are automatic or flag dependent or can be done manually I still don't know.
    Once we star seeing reviews of this player maybe we'll know if we've found a good model for watching 4:3 DVD's on fussy HDTV sets. (i.e those that lock into Full when they receive a progressive signal)

13. Dmitry

Dmitry Supporting Actor

Zoom is enlarging the picture. The following sequence is zooming: zoom -> zoom -> zoom.
    scaling in respect to the DVD player refers to it's ability to convert the picture from one aspect ratio to another. If you have a non-anamorphic DVD and display it on a widescreen TV that locks into wide mode with a progressive signal, then you will see a squished [vertically] image on the screen. Scaling DVD player would re-format the picture in such a way that it displays with proper aspect ratio on a widescreen TV.

14. Andrew W

Andrew W Supporting Actor

Doh! They forgot DVD-A!!

15. ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool Producer

ManW
    It'll be a long time before any Philips (or Sony) player comes w/ DVD-A--officially anyway.
    Besides the aspect ratio control, I hope the remote hack for all-region PAL->NTSC conversion still works perfectly!
    Now, WHEN can I get my hands on one?! I need a new player! NOW!!! [​IMG]
    _Man_

16. Peter Loan

Peter Loan Second Unit

The Toshiba 3800/4800 scales on a 16x9 display, while on a 4:3, it will zoom. The chroma bug is there, but extremely minor when compared to the players from previous generations. It's only evident on things like the Toy Story menu screen. You'll be hard pressed to see the near fatal bug on normal viewing material. The player is recommended for those who don't sit around while constantly staring at the Toy Story menu screen.

17. Patrick TX

LoL!

18. Matt DeVillier

Matt DeVillier Supporting Actor

19. Andrew W

Andrew W Supporting Actor

20. Patrick TX

No, I'm NOT KIDDING. It seems to ME that most BIG releases are in 2:35, ie; Clones, FOTR EE, etc. I prefer a 1:85 with my 55" 16:9 set. I've got a problem with black bars, call me a heathen. Don't tell me to turn off the lights either! [​IMG]