Any developers here?

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Vince Maskeeper, Jun 26, 2005.

1. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Jan 18, 1999

I'm a scripter since the late 80's (starting in basic, moving to pascal and fortran, if you believe it).

I have written ASP scripts for the web starting in 1999. I have recently written some very simple applications.

I would like to start getting serious again about script development. I'd like to find a good tutorial book for, specifically:

- Something that concentrates on ADO/Database objects, and is very specific on interfacing with MSSQL databases.

- Something that focuses specifically on Visual Studio.Net 2003 (as this is what I have).

- Something that helps using the "code behind" stuff in visual studio.

Does anyone have a tip on something that would get me started, even if it's a Dummies book or something?

2. SteveA

SteveA Supporting Actor

May 25, 2000
    ASP.NET is a pretty big paradigm shift from classic scripting languages such as ASP. ASP.NET is more of an event-driven programming model (like VB programming) and not an interpreted scripting environment like ASP.

There are no shortage of good books that can get you started. I suggest going to the bookstore and browsing through a few of them. They vary in how much background is assumed of the reader. To use ASP.NET, you need to be familiar with either the VB.NET or C# programming language. Some books include tutorials in one or both of these languages, while others assume that you already know the basic syntax of these languages. It is important to find a book that includes background in these languages and the .NET framework in general if you are completely new to .NET.

As far as SQL Server database connectivity goes, pretty much all books that I've seen include material on basic ADO.NET programming, usually with examples involving SQL Server connections.

Good luck.