What's new

asnomia (1 Viewer)

Leif Wall

Second Unit
I suffer from congenital asnomia. ie - I was born without a sense of smell. Supposedly only about 2 million in the US have no sense of smell. Does anybody here know anybody?

Leila Dougan

Screenwriter
I know a girl from another forum I frequent with the same condition.

One question, though. . can you taste okay or is that hindered as well?

Leif Wall

Second Unit
Taste is hit and miss. They're not completely intertwined. The sense of smell is supposedly 10,000x (or some insane number) as strong as the sense of taste. Smell basically enhances taste. Like when you're eating something with a fork and you bring it into your mouth, at the same time you're getting a big whiff of it. So, I can taste, probably just not as good as a regular person can.

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
FYI: Actor Bill Pullman has no sense of smell after a head injury.

Me? I have a huge nose.. so what is the opposite of asnomia?

I am a bit color blind, however.

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
I heard that losing your sense of smell has drastic effects on your psychological well-being. Is that true?

Leif Wall

Second Unit
I was born without it, so I couldn't really say. Sometimes it seems like I'm less of a person because of it.

Vickie_M

Senior HTF Member
You are NOT less of a person! There are many people in the world that would dearly envy you!

There are more bad smells than good smells in the world. I don't think you're missing out on too much. Flowers smell nice. Some foods smell nice. That's about it. Most purfumes and colognes smell nasty (though the people who wear it never seem to think so). Many people smell bad with and without purfume. Several animals smell bad. Trash stinks. Bad food stinks. Cars, trucks, and busses stink. Most fish stink. Furnaces stink. Rivers stink. Public toilets stink. On and on and on.

Consider yourself lucky, seriously!

Julie K

Screenwriter
Flowers smell nice.
Three years ago I went to see the world's largest flower, Amorphophallus titanum, bloom. It is also called the 'corpse flower' since it smells exactly like rotting meat :)
But I'll take rotting meat smells anyday over the nasty perfurme and cologne that people wear. There are times I wish I could turn my nose off.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks