What's new

Asl Av8 (1 Viewer)

Khoa Tran

Supporting Actor
Hi, i'm wondering if these amps will be able to power 4 ohm speakers...on the website it rates at 8 ohms but have any of you guys tried using these at a 4 ohm load? ...thanks

James Bergeron

Supporting Actor
I'm running them on Dahlquist QX10's. They are rated at 4Ohms. They run them without any problems to blistering levels and I haven't heard any clipping. The QX10's are fairly sensitive that is part of the key.

Michael R Price

Screenwriter
Khoa, I would not recommend using the Wave amps to drive a 4 ohm, 88db speaker unless you only listen at low levels. What specific speakers are they? Some have reasonably easy loads and some don't.

Some tube amps (and almost all Class A amps) decrease power into loads lower than what they are designed for. Some have switchable output transformers that allow you to use the amplifier's maximum power into any load. So, I would be careful about this, and maybe contact ASL's tech support regarding this decision. With speakers of that type you may be able to bi-amp using a tube amp for the highs, but you probably need solid-state power at least for the bass.

James Bergeron

Supporting Actor
Khoa unless you only listen at low levels you may not be very pleased with the ASL's with those speakers. I was running Dahlquist QX6's which are also I beleive 88db and they sounded great, but started to clip at about half volume and it wasn't very loud at all. The better efficiency of the QX-10's made a HUGE difference. I'm much happier now, the output is cleaner at lower volumes as a result.

Just for reference I also used B&W 303's with the same results as the QX6's.

Yogi

Screenwriter
88 db is not so efficient so you might run into some problems. If you want to experiment with tubes why not try one of the Jolida integrateds in the 30 W range. I have heard nothing but great things about them and they should be able to play sufficiently loud.

Best of luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks