What's new

Asking the finishing question before starting (1 Viewer)

Rick Westfall

Stunt Coordinator
I'm trying to get all this info before I go start buying stuff. If I build a sub (probably Adire or some sort) using MDF, what is the process of making it look good when the whole thing it put together? Do you use some sort of veneer and glue it or are there other options?

Rick

TimForman

Supporting Actor
You can paint it but you'll need to prime it first. The cut edges of MDF soak up paint like a sponge. There are a number of veneers available or you could even use the self-adhesive vinyl veneer available from Parts Express.

Gerry S

Stunt Coordinator
you can pick up a sheet of real wood veneer (that's what I'm doing). I've never worked with it but will soon find out if I am any good at applying it.

This vendor's name has come up a couple times:
http://www.tapeease.com/

I've never used this vendor: I was able to find mine from a local source.

-Gerry

Joey Skinner

Second Unit
Check out the "Veneering question for Brian Bunge" thread in this forum. Using tips from this thread I veneered my HT speakers (with oak veneer from tapeease) and it turned out great. I was going to paint my sub but decided to veneer it with leftover veneer from the speakers. I built a grill that covers the front of the sub so I veneered the top and sides only and left the back and bottom bare mdf.

Ben L C

Agent
If you are going to paint MDF, I highly recommend using a diluted mixture of weldbond glue to use as a primer. This will help to create a seal over the area of the MDF which has been cut or routered. I think you have to cut it like 5 to 1 or something like that. You will need to sand it when it has dried, and can even put another coat on. This has worked great on doing many projects with MDF, and the only way I can think off to get the cut edges to look and feel like the smooth face of mdf.

Andy Goldstein

Stunt Coordinator
i just finished painting my double advents with granite texture spray paint. at a distance > 8 feet or so they look blacker than black. when you get closer the white and grey flecks show up. at 4 feet tall and 18" wide they are quite impressive. i also shot my advent center channel speaker to match. anything is better than plain black vinyl. yuck!

go here to see them before painting:

http://www.arsenal.net/dc/user_files/48.jpg

gotta find my camera, and then some new pics.

ag.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks