Asking Price Commentaries in Forsale

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jah-Wren Ryel, Jan 25, 2002.

1. Jah-Wren Ryel

Jah-Wren Ryel Stunt Coordinator

The policy in the forsale sections is that people are not allowed to post responses to a listing indicating that the price might be out of line - I understand the reasoning behind this rule to be non-interference and letting the potential buyers "make up their own mind."

However, it seems to me that the same reasoning would disallow "atta-boy" type comments where people post just to say how good a price is. In a number of cases those atta-boy comments have been just plain wrong, the prices asked were only so-so if not a tad on the high-side.

Wouldn't it be a better balance if all commentary on pricing, pro or con, was prohibited?

2. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    Jah,

I am not quite sure what you mean.

It seems that you feel someone commending a

good price is just as bad as someone condemning

a bad price.

You know, we have never given thought to this.

Offhand, I don't think someone following up

with a praise for a good price is interfering

with a FOR SALE item.

It's someone coming in and putting down a sale

for any reason that we don't want to see.

If other members want to HELP in a POSITIVE

manner with a sale item, I see no harm. Anything

other than that is a problem.

3. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Ronald, the only problem I see is if the seller's price is high, but another member finds it to be a bargain and posts a reply to that effect. Another member could then be influenced by this supportive, but inaccurate post to the point of overpaying for the item. In the end, however, we are all responsible for researching the fair price for an item before buying.

4. Jah-Wren Ryel

Jah-Wren Ryel Stunt Coordinator

Keith, you've pretty much summed up my opinion, but I would like to amplify my reasoning.

Forums like HTF are a place where we come for (good) advice from others. By preventing critical commentary in the forsale areas, the effect is to skew any opinions or advice there towards the sellers' benefit and consquently away from the buyers'.

As an example, take another set of (technical) forums that I frequent which has a policy of not allowing any critical statements regarding vendors in the particular industry the forums cover for fear of libel lawsuits against the forum maintainers. To be fair they also do not allow any supportive comments either because it would not be possible to post any counter-arguments without running afoul of the lawsuit threat.

Now, there is no lawsuit threat here, and it is entirely reasonable to say that the forsale forums are distinct from the others at HTF in that they are not advice forums. It is not a big issue as we are all (suppossedly) adults and can make up our own minds, it just seems (particularly from my view as a purchaser, not a seller) to be a biased policy that often results in somewhat misleading postings being made there.

5. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    Tell you what.

I'll speak to Gregg Loewen who runs that area.

If you see any abnormal supportive or nosupportive

action going on during the FOR SALE transactions,

please let him or I know.

Thanks

6. Gregg Loewen

Gregg Loewen Video Standards Instructor, THX Ltd.
    Insider

Gregg Loewen
    Good morning!!

We have kicked the idea / suggestion around in the Administrative Area and Ive decided to leave the For Sale Areas as they are.

Positive comments are a nice touch and can help sell an item. If you think a positive comment is out of line, or a guy is just generally shoveling dung, then email an admin ASAP and we will take care of it.

As always, if you notice a poster negatively interfering with a thread, please also email an administrator ASAP

As always THANKS!!!

Gregg