Aside from Aesthetics, what are the advantages of getting an expensive Stand???

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Salvador, Mar 14, 2002.

1. Salvador

Salvador Second Unit

Aside from Aesthetics, what are the advantages of getting an expensive Stand??? i don't understand how some people rant and rave about how their brand new stands 'improved' imaging or some other aspect by a lot. What difference would it make if i just put a the speakers on a countertop table or a simple night table as long as it has the same height as the stands?

can someone clear this up for me.

2. Salvador

Salvador Second Unit

bump

anyone?

3. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

i bought some stands from circuit city that were pretty inexpensive...they made a significant difference in the way the speakers sounded. i figure the main benefit was getting the tweeter's up to ear-height.

i used to have those speakers on boxes (the kind that copier paper comes in) and they didn't sound as good - but i don't know if it was because the tweeter's were still too low.

in any case, the only other advantage i can think of to using stands is that it allows the speaker to "breathe" properly. i think a tabletop would affect the speaker's dispersion.

4. Phil A

Phil A Producer

Phil
    Some of the more expensive metal stands can be filled with sand to kill resonances or are made of materials that don't suffer from some of the problems of cheaper ones. Getting a stand of proper height for one's speaker is important. You can also get some of that blue tac stuff or the stuff that is used to put posters on the wall (at your local office/art supply) which will help too.

5. Salvador

Salvador Second Unit

i have one of my speakers on top of my computer table. The other one is just on a little night stand with two piles of xerox office paper to keep the tweeter at ears level.

So if i understand you guys right, as long as you put somekind of dampening material underneath the speakers and make sure they are at ears level then they should work as good as any kind of stands out there?

6. Phil A

Phil A Producer

Phil
    The material will help. I can't say if it will be as good as a premium stand. Certainly on a surface subject to vibrations it will help. Vibrapods (www.vibrapod.com)are another option at only $6.00 each or $24.00 per set.

7. Trevor_J

Trevor_J Second Unit

Hey Salvador! Get that SVS yet?

In my setup I found that isolating the speakers from the stands made a difference.

I did some experimenting one day and found that my midbass and midrange was suffering because my speakers were coupling with the stand. Under one speaker I placed a thin sheet of foam, approx 2cm thick and played my system back at high volume. I immediately noticed a difference. Not huge, but it was a definately cleaner and more tighter midbass. During 'normal' volume levels the difference wasn't that apparent. It was a cheap easy tweak and I haven't looked back since.

8. Salvador

Salvador Second Unit

hey trevor how's it going? Nah no SVS yet, that purchase might have to wait until i get my co-op job at u of t. BTW, my balls are still shaking from the awesome bass i heard from you dual svs setup[​IMG] !
    My real problem is with instrument separation. The vocals from my 20's sound very good and seem to come from the center most of the time but when the track gets instrument heavy, the music doesn't exhibit separation anymore. I was thinking maybe its a 'stand' issue but now i'm thinking maybe the internal amps from the 3802 don't have the ability to exhibit that kind of separation. Or then again maybe its the 20's themselves. I'm seriously considering unloading the studio 20's or maybe even the 3802 to get that instrument separation that i want.
    Well anyway i'll ask around this issue on the 30th if i make it. I'll probably be seeing you there on the toronto meet trevor. Later, thanks for the foam tip, i'll try it out one of these days.