Asian subtitle translations --

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Jim Blackie, Sep 16, 2003.

1. Jim Blackie

Jim Blackie Stunt Coordinator

Looking at the Asian titles I am tempted to try a few, but my past experiences in Kurosawa imports have me leery, as the subtitles were unfathonable.

Are the translations to English as poor as I think? In some cases I can't understand what the point of the speeches are.

Also- Chinese Ghost Story was/is my favorite Asian flick. Again I was puzzled over the translations, until I decided to just enjoy the film and laugh at the subtitles. Friends and I would vote on the most confusing dialogue of the film.

Where was I? OH, yeah... what studios do the worst job? Is this a good rule of thumb?

Thanks.

2. Sean Campbell

Sean Campbell Second Unit

3. rutger_s

rutger_s Supporting Actor

What happens with most Chinese DVD releases with English subtitles?

80% of the time, its just a person with a dictionary in a hobble watching the film and writing down literal or as close as possible translations.

The results are subtitles that either have no meaning or translations with the wrong context.

And if you think it doesn't happen in the US, think again.

Once Upon A Mexico has a bunch of American English subtitles that don't match the Spanish being spoken. Not only that, some subtitles on American DVDs never match the dialogue spoken. Remember some companies still use dubtitles.

4. Jim Blackie

Jim Blackie Stunt Coordinator

dubtitles?[​IMG]

5. rutger_s

rutger_s Supporting Actor

6. Simon Basso

Simon Basso Stunt Coordinator

Apart from personal reviews on inbdividual titles, there's no way to tell what the subs will be like on HK discs. Even Universe has some awful translation on some of their titles, Audition, Holiday in Seoul, Shaolin Soccer (although here the general opinion is that the bad subs make the film funnier). I've only had about 5 titles out of forty where the subs are really bad, and even then you can get the sense easily enough. It's just a good job they're cheap.