What's new

Asian cinema recommendations.... (1 Viewer)

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
hi all -

i was telling my brother-in-law about some of my favorite asian movies and i was wondering if you had any you could recommend. i'm not really looking for any specific genre...

here's the ones i can think of off the top of my head:

eat drink man woman

Link Removed

chungking express

raise the red lantern

Link Removed

Link Removed

Link Removed

Link Removed

pushing hands

shower

the king of masks

i know i'm missing some good ones, so please feel free to add any that you think would make a good addition.

thx,

ted

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member
Among my faves:

Raise the Red Lantern
Ju Dou
Eat Drink Man Woman
In the Mood for Love
Farewell My Concubine

One I didn't like, but many others have; at the very least, it's a fascinating film: What Time is it There?

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
IMHO, Kurosawa's Seven Samurai is the pinnacle of live-action asian cinema... it is also one of the most beautifully shot films from a technical point of view.

Peter Kim

Screenwriter
To Live.

It's a weighty and overwrought film, even by Zhang Yimou standards, but it's a powerful epic. It's probably not even considered his best, but for me, it packed such emotional impact.

Perhaps like me, you'll reluctantly start the film, but you'll find that once it starts, you cannot escape its pull using the Cultural Revolution as a backdrop and describing the evolution of a wealthy but listless and vacuous man into a simple but profoundly thoughtful husband and father.

Peter Kim

Screenwriter
Also forgot to add the following:

Comrades, Almost a Love Story
Kitchen (the Japanese production, which unfortunately has been a holy grail for me)

And of course, all of your original suggestions...they're can't miss.

Oh, and Beat Takashi's Fireworks (Hana Bi), if you can get over the quirky violence.

Even more yet...Autumn Moon (Clara Law directed), a Hong Kong + Japan production. And Cold Fever, an Iceland + Japan production.

Tom_Bechet

Second Unit
alright, completely different style but here we go:
Shaolin soccer, The EYE, Ringu (the original Ring), and some nice anime like Princess mononoke and Jin Roh. and let's not forget AVALON (which is from a japanese director OSHII but filmed in Poland in polnish)

and how could I forget BATTLE ROYALE
HTH

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
very cool guys. thx and keep em comin'...

:emoji_thumbsup:

btw rob - i can't believe i forgot seven samurai. i'll chalk it up to the late hour i posted. ;)

Tim Fleming

Stunt Coordinator
Ok, for what it's worth:

Red Beard, Ran, Seven Samurai, Hidden Fortress, and High and Low - all by Kurosawa

Tampopo, The Funeral, Minbo no Onna, Supa no Onna, and Marusa no Onna (A Taxing Woman) 1 & 2 - all by Itami, Juzoh

Hana-bi, Sonatine, Kikujiro, A Scene at the Sea (?) - all be Kitano "beat" Takeshi

Shark Skin Man, Peach Hip Girl
The Road Home
Not One Less
JSA
Friend
Tears of the Black Tiger
Down the Drain

and if you include Indian etc films:

Monsoon Wedding, Salaam Bombay, and Mississippi Masala - all by Mira Nair
Sholay
Himalaya (although technically speaking this is probably French)
Lagaan
Bandit Queen
Samasara

There are many many more (obviously), but the above are just a few that immediately sprung to mind.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks