1. We suffered a brief outage this morning when our host noticed that HTF needed to be moved to a different server due to a hardware failure. That work is now complete. Please post in the feedback area if you have any issues.
    Dismiss Notice

Ashy Judd's best film: RUBY IN PARADISE where is the DVD?!?!

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Mark Walker, Jun 27, 2002.

1. Mark Walker

Mark Walker Cinematographer
    Supporter

The title asks it all.
    Ruby in Paradise is one of the best
    films I have seen, and certainly the best thing Ashley
    Judd has done...it was her debut film.
    But I cannot buy it on DVD.
    [​IMG]
    Does anyone know anything about this title coming to DVD?
    Mark

2. Mark Pfeiffer

Mark Pfeiffer Screenwriter

Don't know a thing, and I've asked the same question. You'd think that considering her level of stardom that it would have come out by now. Not sure who holds the rights, but I suspect Artisan does. (Doesn't the videotape have the Republic logo on it, and doesn't Artisan now control that library?)

3. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee
    Mark,
    I have heard so much about this film and I love Ashley Judd. Even let my wife drag me to YaYa Sisterhood [​IMG]
    I would buy this on DVD in a heartbeat!

4. Mark Walker

Supporter

Has anyone heard anything about this title coming to DVD?

5. ReggieW

ReggieW Screenwriter

I am a big fan of this film as well, and do find this an interesting omission considering Judd's superstar status. I had also been contemplating starting a thread regarding this title, but it looks like you beat me to it Mark! I do remember the acclaim it received when first released, and was very impresssed with both Judd and Todd Field's peformance. The Sam Phillips songs featured throughout the film were a nice touch. Hopefully someone will chime in, because I don't undersatnd why seven years into this format this title is still MIA. Definitely Judd's best film imho.

Reggie

6. Jon Martin

Jon Martin Cinematographer

I was just asking about this last week in the Republic studios thread.

According to what is posted, Paramount may have the rights now. October released it theatrically, Republic to home video.

It was one of the most critically acclaimed films of the 90's, with Judd winning several critics awards so why it has been forgotten is beyond me.

It's in my top ten films of all time.

Nunez is one of the most underrated directors. RUBY, ULEE'S GOLD and his earlier films GAL YOUNG 'UN and FLASH OF GREEN, all great films.

Victor Nunez's most recent film COASTLINES has never had a theatrical or video release. Never played outside of festivals. I have yet to see it, but IFC Films has the rights to it. I emailed them and they said last year it may get a release this year, but I haven't seen anything.

7. Mark Edward Heuck

Mark Edward Heuck Screenwriter

I think this title may have reverted to Focus Features/Universal, October's successor. Little by little, old October titles that had been sublicensed to other labels are getting reissued by Universal, so I would estimate within a year it could arrive, likely to time with the next good Ashley Judd movie.

Yeah, I know that could be a while if her people keep choosing these damn thrillers for her to star in.

8. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.
    it's been showing on INHD lately. so maybe it's on itsway.

9. Mark Walker

Supporter

Has anyone heard about a DVD or Blu-ray release for this film?
    Anyone know who owns it rights?

10. Stan

Stan Producer
    Supporter

Never seen or heard of this film. My favorite of hers has always been "Double Jeopardy", but I'll watch for this one.