What's new

Ashes of Time Redux (1 Viewer)

teapot2001

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thi
Wow. Just wow.

I had seen Ashes of Time years ago on DVD. The horrible picture quality and the poor subtitles, along with the muddled story didn't give me a favorable impression of the movie.

I decided to give the new cut a viewing, at least thinking that I'd have a better understanding of the story a second time around. I've also read the reviews of how spectacular this new print is on the big screen and there is a must-see.

Christopher Doyle's cinematography is simply magnificent. He does a beautiful job capturing the desert landscape and the faces of the numerous cast of actors. I wasn't a fan of the action scenes before, but I was able to appreciate the impressionistic quality and quick-cutting this time.

The story this time was comprehensible, and I wasn't prepared for the emotional impact this movie has.

Watching Ashes of Time Redux was like drinking that magic bottle of wine, making me forget about that awful DVD experience. This could be my favorite movie of Wong Kar Wai, topping In the Mood for Love.

~T

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member

This was the only thing good about this movie. Being someone who has read the original novel, saw the 70s movie version from Shaw Brothers Studios, then watched the 70s and 80s Hong Kong TV productions (and own it on DVD), I thought Wong's versions was a total fiasco.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RobRWA123
Recent bookmarks