Asheron's Call 2 (PC) - just got for $29.99

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chris Rock, Jan 14, 2003.

1. Chris Rock

Chris Rock Supporting Actor

I was just at EBX in Tampa (International Plaza) and found an EB coupon stuck to all the copies of Asheron's Call 2. The coupon is included in an EB Flyer circulating at the stores.

I've been contemplating this game for a while, partly due to my coworker's word-of-mouth about it, and with $20 off, it was a no-brainer.

2. Romier S

Romier S Producer

My biggest recommendation is to make sure you have a really good large amount of RAM in your comp. The client (game engine) is a complete and utter memory ANIMAL. My 3.06gig P4 with 256mb of RDRAM (yes this will be upgraded very soon)was open to some nice bouts of slowdown in populated areas and in some large open areas (Due mostly to the fact that the 256mb). As a comparison, I run Morrowind at 1280X1024 with full draw distance and AI distance on this comp and its butter.
    I honestly would not try to run the game at higher detail settings and resolution unless you've got a minimum of 512mb of ram and 768 would be even more recommended. It depends on how much of the eye candy you want though Chris, I'm just giving you some insight on my experiences with the game on a top of the line PC (which I just bought recently and am in love with[​IMG]). The game is gorgeus at higher resolution and with a good number details maxed, its enticing as hell. Even on lower settings its good looking but once you get a glimpse of high you want more[​IMG].
    Also, take into account I was running on a Geforce 3 TI500 which is being replaced in 2 weeks with a TI4600. So if you have a substantially better card, performance will be no doubt be better. Over all though, its all about memory, memory and more memory. Its what you want to play AC2 like its supposed to be played.
    The game itself isn't too bad at all either. The skill tree is huge and flexible but my main issue with the game (and the main reason I cancelled my account) was the lack of content right now (which will no doubt get better as time goes on). I may reup later one when they get further into the storyline and the player community grows.

3. Chris Rock

Chris Rock Supporting Actor

I've got 1024 MB of RAM and a GeForce Ti4600, so I hope I'm OK. Sheesh, if I can't play this, I'd give up on PC Games for good. I used to think my 2.4 GhZ processor was fast, but now . . .