What's new

Ascend vs B&W 602 (1 Viewer)

David_

Auditioning
Hello all. Thanks for taking the time.

I have narrowed down my search. I have just purchased a house and with it came a 65 inch high def tv. I would like to add speakers. My room is 15*22 but the listening area is 15 * 15. The only other note is that the left/center/right will be positioned HIGH. they are about 18 inches off the ceiling in custom bookcases the previous owner had made for his tv. Sucks, I know, but the TV was free. I can always toe-down the speakers.

I have auditioned the 602 S3 speakers and they are very nice. He gave me a price of 550 for the pair and the smaller center he gave me a price of 350 with a 12 inch sub at 650. I am convinced that that is as low as he will go. The dealer will install for 40/hour which is nice.

I will be buying a pioneer elite series 72 receiver for your reference.

in the other corner is the ascend 340's for left/center/right with either the stf-3 or vtf-3 i am not sure of the difference.

any thoughts on what the differences i would experience between the two? All the reviews for both are very positive? I have not listened to the ascends but I am willing to try the 30 day if the feedback is "NO brainer you have to go with the ascend"

btw: 70% of time movies and 30% time listening to top 40 with focus on dave Mathews type of music.

thanks a ton!!!

BruceTM

Agent
David,

It depends what you will have driving the B&Ws. I tried them out with a mid-line Yamaha htr and the results were pretty awful. It actually made me think that it was time to try online merchants. I purchased a 5.1 setup minus the sub for about a grand. The results were much better. If it were me I would give the ascends a try. I opted for Axiom just because I thought they looked nicer than the ascends, and the free shipping was nice too.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I wouldn't say no brainer, but IMO, the Ascends are better. I like th 602s, but for the money, the Ascends are more sensitive, have better midrange and are a better value. IMO, three for the front will make an excellent front stage.

The STF-3 is basically the same sub as the VTF-3 configured for max output. The advantage of the VTF is the Variable Tuning Frequency, so you can switch between max extension and max output.

Jacob C

Second Unit
I have not heard the ascends but many compare them favorably to the Paradigm Studio series. IMO the studios were considerably better than the B&W's. I must admit the Paradigms were being demoed on better equipment as well. I would still vote Ascend though.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks