What's new

Ascend Speakers (1 Viewer)

Tom.K

Agent
I have been looking into Ascend Speakers for a 5.1 system along with a Hsu 10 inch sub. Does anybody out there have Ascend Speakers? If so can you give me your evaluation of them? The 170's have some rave reviews but I'm also interested in the 340's for L/R and Center.

Tom Kelley

MikeLi

Supporting Actor
If you really want impressions of Ascends you should go to their own web site where they have their own message boards. Here you will just get alot of well you should try the Rocket Onix speakers, or the Axioms as well too type of posts.

All of the internet companies mentioned make good speakers they are just different sounding and aimed at different ears. Only your ears can tell. Don't get in the trap of letting someone say something good about a speaker and that makes you decision for you. YOU and only YOU need to hear it first. Thats why I am a big believer in trying at least like a center from each company first. This will give you an idea of build quality, plastic, wood, other? and also sound as well. Good luck
Mike

BradJudy

Stunt Coordinator
Mike is right. I'm an Ascend owner, but I really don't get the idea of trying to give a useful impression of a speaker in text (yes, I know there is a whole publishing segment devoted to this). I have seen people give very different descriptions of comparisons between two speaker than I would give - sometime after the very same listening session (i.e. only the ears/brain were different, not the room/equipment). Listen for yourself if you can. If you don't want to take that step, then flip a coin/take a leap of faith and be happy with your decision. :)

I have been happy with my Ascends for three years now - that's probably the most useful thing I can tell you.

MikeyWeitz

Supporting Actor
I have AScend 340's LCR (upgraded from JBL E80's and EC35) along with an SVS 16-46pc+ driven by a Pio 1014tx.

Can not begin to tell you how much I love the Ascends. The detail is truly amazing. Never really listened to much music thru my HT, but I now listen to some almost every night and they keep getting better and better.
Warning tho, a crappy mix or sub par recording will sound like it, they are very very revealing.
A proper mix tho and look out, will blow you away.

The only speaker change I will be making anytime in the near-mid future is to upgrade all 4 of my surrounds to @ least 170's from the JBL's I have now.

Altho many like the rockets, Axiom etc, you will not find 1 negative review of Ascends ANYWHERE.

Oh, their Customer service (like SVS) is 2nd to none!

Chris Quinn

Screenwriter
For ease of comparison. Ascend Acoustics 170s compare favorably with Paradigm Studio 20s except in bottom end extension. The 340 compares with Studio 60s or 100s.

If you're worried buy just a pair to listen to that way if they aren't for you in will minimize shipping costs.

Jacob C

Second Unit
I think the 340's are usually compared to the studio 40's not the 60's or 100's. With a good sub word is that they easily compete with the 100's so I guess it depends on your appplication.

Chris Quinn

Screenwriter
Paradigm's extension specs v. Ascends are a tad misleading as Paradigm gives a DIN rating as well as a +/-2db rating.

Such the Studio 40 is rated DIN to 36hz but the +/-2dB is only 62HZ and nowhere does it say if those measurements are anechoic or in-room response. I don't find a definition of what DIN is.

The Ascend 340 is +/3dB to 55HZ anechoic and to 50Hz in-room.

If Paradigm is using in-room for the 60s to 46hz then there is only a 4 Hz difference for +/-dB. If not it is a 9Hz difference. But DIN is 30Hz for the Studio 60.

I'd say IMO the Ascends mids and highs are better than the Paradigm Studio series.

Tom.K

Agent
Thanks for everone's input. I'm going to get a pair of Ascend CMT 340s with a Hsu STF-2 Sub and go from there. I've read many good comments about them. One person said something about only hearing the instruments and not the speakers. That is exactly what a speaker is supposed to do. When you hear the speaker and not the music something is wrong. So thanks again. I'll let you know how it all turns out. After all; what can possibly go wrong?

Tom Kelley

Matthew BW

Stunt Coordinator
I just received my 340's across the front and 170 surrounds and I love them so far. The only problem seems to be some static I am hearing from one of the 170's during really loud scenes. I am not sure if it is a connection issue or a speaker issue. It sounds like a scratching noise, and it is only ocassionally.

Chris Quinn

Screenwriter
Matthew BW- If the static is happening on different sources, put your fingers on the cone around the phase plug and gently push in. If you feel the cone scrap the phase plug the driver was damaged in shipping. There is something I'm leaving out about testing the cone that I can't remember at all, rubbing it???. Call Ascend tomorrow and they can help out.

Matthew BW

Stunt Coordinator
I tried it and I can sometimes feel it scrape a little bit, but it does that on every speaker including the 340's. You have to push in a little ways though. I pushed gently to avoid damage.

MikeLi

Supporting Actor
I don't get where folks can walk into an audio store and say well my " so and so internet speakers sound like Paridigms or whatever"... Depends on the room and all sorts of things. I have been in places where my Rockets I thought actually sounded better than Paridigms or a lot of the other high end speakers they had set up with their high end like Macintosh amps and such. You will never know for sure until you get a speaker home to your surroundings with your gear for sure!

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Speakers are always going to be in the ears of the beholder. You have to have them in your own place to make an opinion on what YOU think of them.

Tom

Glad to hear you ordered them. Let us know what you think of them after you have had a chance to play around with them some.

MikeLi

Supporting Actor
Totally agree with you Parker and hope he does like his speakers. After all thats is what this is all about.
MikeL

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation155
Recent bookmarks