What's new

Ascend or Onix + SVS Which One?? (1 Viewer)

DavidWReece

Auditioning
I see two threads mentioning these products.

I am starting from scratch for a new Home Theater setup. I primarily will use it for listening to music, with movies thown in perhaps 2-3 times per week.

Which one would be the better deal??

What I am looking for should be able to last for quite a while as I am not looking to upgrade anytime soon

I still have my JBL Control LA speakers from way back when, as well as the Denon Amps that powered them from a long time ago. The Denon Power Amp bit the dust when the RCA connector plating came apart and it would cost more to have it fixed than I felt was worth.

Thanks in advance

Dave

David Bikeman

Stunt Coordinator
The one to get is the one that sounds best to YOU. They are both excellent speakers from excellent companies. You can't go wrong either way so the only way to know which is best to your ears is to audition both in your home.
Since music is important, order the fronts (L&R) from both companies and send back the pair that wasn't as pleasing to you. Then order the rest of the package from the other company. You'll still get the package price and you'll only be out the cost of shipping one pair, one way.
Auditioning at home is a lotta fun and by far the best way to find what works for you. If the local B & M will go along, audition a pair of what they have to offer also.
This is just a great way to buy audio gear.

David

DavidWReece

Auditioning
David
Thanks for the info. The home demo might be a problem, since I live in Germay (say thanks to Uncle Sam) and what sounds real good in the house errrr apartment I am living in might not sound as good when I move. Not to mention shipping times (USPS - time shipped to time received).

I don't have the option for in store auditioning as well - most if not all powered subs are 220v and I would need either 110v only (transformers) or dual voltage(best option)

I would like something upper end, yet has the ability to sound good in a variety of home setups (I will probably move at least twice more in my career).

Pardon my lack of knowledge but what is "B & M"??

Thanks

Dave

Chris Quinn

Screenwriter
What sound do you prefer? Foward, laidback, detailed? Which offerings from Ascend and Rockets are you interested in?

I think it would be good to email both companies with details of your space and sound preference. With the smaller sizes of many European living accomodations you may need something that does near-field(you are so close to the speakers there isn't reflected sound) well. Also both will likely be able to tell you what the value speakers are there in Europe. I'm not sure once you pay overseas shipping they will be the outstanding values they are in the states.
Ascend- [email protected]
Rockets/Onix- [email protected]

If you are sure you want to order from one of these companies I beleive Ascend offers a military discount.

DavidWReece

Auditioning
Thanks to all for the B & M definition

Chris
I prefer laidback, yet detailed. I don't go for high volume, yet like to be able to hear the different instruments. I have wide musical tastes ranging from AC/DC through the Grateful Dead on towards Zappa, with Classical Music thrown in, and the electronica of Tangerine Dream. Also there is the blues, and jazz fusion.

I do like the music to be clean.

Thanks for the suggestion on asking about near-field, and if the companies could suggest quality european speaker (although with the current exchange rate I must add 30% to whatever I want to buy).

I don't worry about paying international shipping rates. I only pay to get the products to New York (that is where the APO is) and the military takes over from there to get the mail to me.

Thanks again for the tips

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks