Ascend, NHT, Paradigm?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by frog, Aug 23, 2006.

1. frog

frog Auditioning

Since someone was kind enough to steal (insert profanity of your choice here) my HT setup (Onkyo, NHTs Ones and Zeroes) I am beginning the process of rebuilding. I am looking at spending between 1,000 and 1,500 for speakers for a medium size room. I will probably start out with a 5.1 and expand from there. Since I wasn't anticipating purchasing anything so soon I am not current on what is out there. It seems like Ascend, NHT, and Paradigm are possibly the best for my price range. I am looking at probably 50/50 on music/video. Music tends to be along the lines of rock/jazz/blues. The NHTs served me well and I have no complaints with them. I have not had a chance to listen to Ascends or Paradigms. Any comments from people who have had a chance to compare these would be appreciated.

Also what receiver would you recommend with the speakers? I have been leaning towards Denon 2807 but Yamaha has received some good comments as well. (I know that is for a seperate thread, sorry.)

Thanks,

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    If you were happy with the NHTs, you will probalby like the Ascends. Paradigms are a little bit different, but good also. The Monitor line are not as good as the Ascends though. I haven't heard the new Classic NHTs, but I'm sure they are good too. The Evolution M5 and M6 are very nice, but they aren't cheap.

3. frog

frog Auditioning

when you say the Paradigms are a little different, how so?

4. dan-0

dan-0 Stunt Coordinator

I had the superones up front and superzeroes in the rear for a few years and really enjoyed the setup, espicaily at the price. I switched to the ModeII NHT towers up front and it was a nice upgrade. You lose some of that legendary imaging of the supers, but gained a more 'full' soundstage. You can find a nice pair used for around $200.

Anyway, another nice great speaker for the buck are the PSB lineup.

http://www.psbspeakers.com

5. John Garcia

John
    The Paradigm Monitors don't have quite as good of a midrange as the other two. The Studios are maybe a hair more dynamic than the Ascends and the NHT Supers, but they are also more expensive. I auditioned the Studio 40s and NHT M6s and I liked the M6s better.

Since you like the NHTs, you might also look at Mordaunt Short. www.ac4l.com has the 900 series for very good prices with free shipping. I have the 902s in my bedroom and I am very happy with them. They are a little more neutral than the Supers, but still have great imaging and clean, clear midrange. The highs are a little smoother than the Supers even though the Mordants also use an aluminum tweeter.

6. frog

frog Auditioning

On the Ascends, is there a big difference between the 170s and 340s as the L/R mains?

7. John Garcia

John
    Yes. The 340s greater sensitivity is better for a larger room.