What's new

Ascend CBM-170s: really worth $330? Comparable to larger, cheaper speakers? (1 Viewer)

BobAlbano

Second Unit
MichaelDDD, Why not spend a little more on your mains/center/surrounds and a little less on your sub? I would be willing to be that you would be just as happy with a SVS PC+ at $750 as you will with a PB2-plus at $1300.00. If I were you I would invest that extra money into your fronts and center as this is where you will be getting most of the sound for movie and music. Just a thought.:)

CurtisSC

Screenwriter
hectic,

I was actually thinking the same thing. With that savings, he could step up to the CMT-340l/r's.

BobAlbano

Second Unit
Curtis, he most definitely could go with the CMT's across the front then. What do the CMT 340's sell for? I would think that if there was an additional $500-600 there would be a lot of different options for him. :)

BobAlbano

Second Unit
Ok, so if both of you were thinking what I was thinking WHY didn't you guys say something? My OWN personal opinion is that if he spends $1300.00 on a sub and $1000.00 on the other 5 speakers he is making a big mistake. The only difference between the PC+ and a PB2+ is an additional 6 db's of total output. I would rather have better performing main and center than the additional 6dbs from the SVS as most of us will never reach the maximum output that the SVS can bring.

CurtisSC

Screenwriter
Because from other posts he seemed pretty set on that sub.

I would actually have suggested the VTF-3.

The CMT-340's are $498/pr(matching customs stands are $140/pr I think). I have recently compared them to the Von Schweikert VR-1's, the Sonus Faber Concertino's, and Mad Dog's Ref1's. Now I won't say they bested the Ref1's, but at a third of the cost, it is nothing less than an OUTSTANDING value.

But you are right...for the money he would save, there are a lot of other speakers out there to consider. Axioms and Rockets ofcourse.

BobAlbano

Second Unit
Now we are talking Curtis...

I would definitely take a look at the offerings from Ascend, ACI, Axiom,and Rocket as they all will provide better bang for the buck than anything you will find in your local B&M store.

All of the speakers that were mentioned here are going to have vastly different "sonic" signatures. Now it is up to YOU MichaelDDD, to figure out what is the right one for your tastes! No go, get out there and listen to some speakers! :D

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
I said nothing because I thought from reading the initial post that it was already too late—the deal was done. Rereading, I see that he was buying tomorrow—my error—you are correct I should have weighted in earlier.

BobAlbano

Second Unit
It's cool Lew! We are all here to help each other out when possible. See you over at AV123 forum! :)

I believe the term that you are looking for is my bad...not my error! :D

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
And weighing in a bit more on the sub/speaker debate, $2,300 would get a very nice Rocket package in the $1,500–$1,700 range, leaving $600–$800 for a sub (UFW-10, VTF or SVS)

IMO, a balanced system, that would provide far more overall enjoyment—my opinion of course.

The other companies will also provide good value for the money.

(Bob you have a PM)

CurtisSC

Screenwriter
All of the speakers that were mentioned here are going to have vastly different "sonic" signatures. Now it is up to YOU MichaelDDD, to figure out what is the right one for your tastes! No go, get out there and listen to some speakers!
Now I'm sure he is going to be happy that we have now made it even more difficult for him! :)

But for me, that was most of the fun.

Yeah...I forgot about ACI. I will hopefully get a chance to hear Sapphires soon. The Panoramas were really nice...but did not have a chance to compare them to anythingelse.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
It has been a long time since I heard any ACI speakers Guess I need to get out more.

And Bob is right—auditioning is the fun part.

David*RT

Stunt Coordinator
MichaelD is in an envious position as his choices are truly exceptional.

An SVS/Ascend combo would make for a GIANT killing system! :)

Yes, all SVS subs are extreme in performance, but in terms of upgradtitis somewhere down the line, I can't see too many bassheads wanting to upgrade from a PB2+. One could construct an enormous amount of audiophile speakers around this linchpin of a sub.

It all comes down to his budget and how much debt he is willing to carry. I, for one, don't want any buyers remorse in my audio purchasing decisions so I go for the best I can do (currently VMPS RM40).

I would recommend for Michael to stay with the PB2+ and get either the 170 or 340 Ascends or Odyssey Epiphony (which I liked better). Either way, I can't see too many picky people not liking such amazing gear. It's like trying to choose a Mercedes or BMW at Kia prices. :)

CurtisSC

Screenwriter
David,

In another thread, the Odyssey Epiphony was also mentioned as a great value.

One thing though, they do seem to require more power. Have you found that true as well?

David*RT

Stunt Coordinator
What is your equipment?

I'd say most all receivers and amps would be able to drive the Epiphonies at a loud volume. I'm currently driving the larger Odyssey Nightingales with an 80 watt integrated.

The best person to give you a true assessment would be Klaus himself. He can be reached at ANY time (especially LATE at night) at: (317) 299-5578

Here's a current discussion on the Odyssey Speaker Line:

http://www.audiocircle.com/circles/viewtopic.php?t=4902
http://www.audiocircle.com/circles/viewtopic.php?t=5041
http://www.audiocircle.com/circles/viewforum.php?f=10

CurtisSC

Screenwriter
I've actually talked to Klaus before. Very nice guy. I tried to get a demo pair of Epiphonies from him...but failed. :D

David*RT

Stunt Coordinator
Yes, Klaus sometimes has Demos around. Those are the best deals as they are practically new.

My speakers from him were demos also. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks