Ascend CBM-170 vs Axiom M80ti

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by JessPrice, Oct 6, 2003.

1. JessPrice

JessPrice Stunt Coordinator

I know this does not sound like a fair fight ($328/pair vs $1,100/pair), but with all the raving reviews about the CBM-170 performing as good as or better than speakers costing 2-3x the price tag, I think it's time to set it straight.

To be more fair to the CBM-170, I'd like the comparison to include a capable sub, such as the SVS Plus series drivers, to handle the bass frequencies.

Mainly, I am looking for someone that has listend to both speakers enough to be able to compare the sonic differences. I am trying to see if it is worth spending an extra $700/pair to buy the Axioms. Remember that I am only looking for the superior speaker ABOVE 100hz.

Which speaker is more detailed? Better soundstage and imaging? Which holds it's quality better at high volumes, and by how much is it louder and still detailed? Keep in mind that the CBM-170 is 4ohm/89dB sensitive, and the Axiom M80ti is 4ohm/95dB sensitive. If it helps, I have a Denon AVR-4802 and I live in an apartment (moving after college, don't want to have to upgrade in the future).
    Thanks for your help!

2. CurtisSC

CurtisSC Screenwriter

I have listened to the m60....and own Ascends....the new CMT-340 l/r's and the CBM-170.

The CBM-170 with a capable sub is great...but it won't have the sound stage of the M60. The CMT-340 would make it interesting. The M60 I think would play louder too. I had the M60 in my home for a little while.

I have a friend that owns the M80's, and he has been to my place and heard the CMT-340's.....they impress him, but I think we agree the sound stage is not as big.

The difference in the treble between the two speakers is also something you should consider.

The CBM-170 is actually an 8 ohm speaker.

And remember...you are comparing a speaker with two drivers vs a speaker with six drivers.

When people speaker about comparing the CBM-170 to speakers costing 2-3 times as much, I believe they are talking about other bookshelf type speakers...I know I am.

Nonetheless, I think a side by side would be interesting....especially when you take the cost in to consideration.

3. JessPrice

The white pages in ascend's website state a 4 ohm impedence load: http://www.ascendacoustics.com/Main/...0_tech_web.pdf

When we compare 6 drivers per speaker to 2 drivers per speaker in this case, does the more drivers make for a better sound, or just a louder sound. That's one of the main points I am trying to determine. The others are of course, which driver, the ascend or axiom's, is a "better performing speaker", and which set is more accurate, detailed, the whole "better" bit above the 100hz mark.

4. CurtisSC

CurtisSC Screenwriter

take a look at this page for the impedance:
    http://www.ascendacoustics.com/Main/...s/cb170imp.asp

I don't think it is just louder....but the soundstage is bigger.

As for accurate and detailed, they both are. But they both have their different characteristics. I directly compared the M22 and CBM-170....that boils down to tastes. The highs on the M22 are extremely detailed, the CBM-170 are a little smoother. I also think the 170 does better on voices and horns. It is all a matter of taste.

If your credit card can handle it....maybe you can try both scenarios. That is the best thing to do.

How big is the room?

5. JessPrice

My room is about 13x13x9 (around 1,500cuft). I would try both out, but my credit card has a $1,000 limit [​IMG] , I guess I will have to save up enough money to buy both at once, but I'd like to hear people's opinions on this matter anyways.

6. CurtisSC

CurtisSC Screenwriter

In that size room, the Ascends will be fine.

I think it is a tough question you are asking. The M80 is such a bigger speaker. As accurate as both may be above 100hz, the sonic qualities will be different because of cabinet size and the amount of drivers. But if were to compare just the freq response of both above 100hz, it will probably be close.

Both great speakers in their own right. But not really used for the same application.

It will be interesting what you choose and why.

7. Chris Quinn

Chris Quinn Screenwriter

If you're just interested in above 100hz I'd ask why buy bass twice? With budget being a consideration get a pair of 170s first and if you're satisified with the sound be happy and enjoy them.

Maybe you could find something in between(340?). Obviously part of the near $800 difference is going into drivers that you don't intend to use.

I'm assuming from your receiver that you intend for these to do HT duties too. Have given consideration to what center channel you want?