Ascend Acoustics

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by ZachW, Nov 24, 2002.

1. ZachW

ZachW Stunt Coordinator

I was almost set on getting a Denon 2802, JBL NSP for center and surrounds, JBL N28 as mains, and a SVS 20-39 PCI. But then I saw the Ascend S22-1000 with Cbm 170 as mains, HTM-200 as surrounds, and with either a SVS 20-39 PCI or HSU VTF-3. Would these speakers be a lot better than the JBL's? Which sub would be better, the SVS, or HSU? What receiver should I use with the Ascend for around $500? I want to go with a 6.1 setup because I have the TV in a corner with three corners behind, and i want a speaker in each corner. Should I just buy more HTM-200's and use one as a surround, or get a center channel and use it? Thanks for the Help

2. Ben_wood

Ben_wood Stunt Coordinator

Zach, I own a 5.1 set of Ascends (4 CBM-170s on the corners, an HTM-200 center) and a Hsu VTF-2 sub. An Onkyo 595 powers the Ascends. My recommendation would be 3 170s for the fronts and center, 3 200s for the surrounds and rear, and the VTF-3 sub. Ascend should give you a good package deal price on this combo. Check out the Onkyo 600 receiver (6.1) to run the show. This setup will really rock at a very competitive price! [​IMG]

3. ZachW

ZachW Stunt Coordinator

Thanks, I'll look into it. Anyone else?

4. Robert_Gaither

Robert_Gaither Screenwriter

I second the purchase of the Ascends (though only the 170s, they're the only model I heard) but would recommend getting identical speakers all around if your budget permits. Your sub choices are excellent and you won't go wrong with either.

5. BradJudy

BradJudy Stunt Coordinator

I recently posted a link to my review of my Ascend Acoustics system which I am very happy with.
    I agree with Ben that 3 CBM-170s and 3 HTM-200s would be a great package. The one caveat is the same one Ascend will give you - if you listen to a lot of multichannel music consider CBM-170s all the way around.
    I agree that you can't go wrong with either of those subs - both are great and more than enough in my view (my VTF-2 is more than enough for me).
    If you hadn't said 6.1 I would have recommened the H/K AVR-520 I bought, but it only has 5 channels of amplification (althought it does 6.1 processing). Great deal at the moment and sounds great with the Ascends.

6. MatthewK

MatthewK Stunt Coordinator

I too was originally looking at the nsp1. Then I started looking at the ascend or axiom speakers.

The major difficulty I have with the ascends is I have heard criticism of using the 200 as a center but the 170 just seems HUGE and like it would not fit easily atop the TV set.

Am I off base here? How do you mount it? Vertically or on it's side? Isn't it still a little large for a set top mounted center?

That made me look more at the axiom speakers and getting an m2i, qs4, vp50 setup.... but still would love ot hear how others solved the center channel "problems" with the ascends!

Matthew

7. ZachW

ZachW Stunt Coordinator

Thanks. So would the Ascend package be better than the JBL's?

8. Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott Lead Actor

another extremely satisfied owners of Ascends (3-170's, 2 200's) here.
    i would whole heartidly agree with what everybody else suggested- if you have the budget, go with 170s all around, if not, not big deal because the 200 is a fine speaker and excellent for surround use.
    i would also recommend the HK over the Onkyo, as it was a little cleaner sounding to me, unless the features don't work for you.

on the question of what is better the Ascends or the JBLs-
    thats really up to individual taste.
    one reason i even bothered to investigate the Ascends was that they had soft domed tweeters.
    metal tweeters, like the ones found in the JBLs, always seem to sound to bright to me, and i get fatigued listening to them for long periods.

i think the general concensus is that the S-series is better than the N series, but i may have my facts wrong here.
    i've heard the JBL s center, and its a fine speaker.
    if it wasn't painfully bright to me, i would have kept it.

i finally settled on the Ascends after several months of intensive listening/auditioning.
    Just amazing speakers, as far as i'm concerned.
    wonderful value, solid construction, and one of the most transparent speakers i've heard.
    can't rave enough about them.

still waiting for the review from $ensible Sound...anyone seen it yet?

9. Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott Lead Actor

about the 170 as a center-

one of the amazing things about the ascends to me is the sound they put out for their size. i don't think the 170s are really all that big- my Kenwood L&R from the HTIB were taller than the ascends, but the ascends are fatter (and much heavier).
    any way to build a small shelf over the tv?
    a 15" square piece of wood and two brackets should work.
    the 170 can be orientated either vertically or horizontally...

10. Ben_wood

Paul, I too, am waiting for the $ensible Sound review. Its supposed to be in the Nov/Dec issue, so I've been intently watching my mailbox for the last week or so.

11. Ben_wood

Matthew, I've been pleased with the HTM-200 as a center channel speaker. The reason I got it instead of another CBM-170 was the 170 wouldn't fit above my tv.