Ascend Acoustics Center Channel Question

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ben_wood, Jun 22, 2002.

1. Ben_wood

Ben_wood Stunt Coordinator

I'm planning on ordering a 5.1 set of speakers from Ascend Acoustics and had originally intended on getting all CBM-170s to go along with the VTF-2 sub. My problem is I don't have enough space between the top of the tv and the component shelf above for a 170 to fit horizontally.However,a HTM-200 will fit just barely.I don't want to have to compromise the audio portion of my system any more than I have to.Will I be satisfied with a HTM-200? If you have this system or have any thoughts about the HTM-200 as a center channel let me know. Thanks.

2. EricE

EricE Agent

Check out Cheap Home Theater, they've got a review of the Ascends. I think they said that they perferred the CBM-170 for the center channel instead of the HTM-200.

3. Denis K

Denis K Agent

Ben,
    I have/had the same question as I am also considering the Ascends. Go here: HTM-200 and scroll down to my question. Then see Kevin's reply just below. Hope this helps.

4. Ben_wood

Thanks Eric and Denis, from what I've read CBM-170's all the way around is the best way to go, but if a 170 won't fit on top of my TV just how much of a drop will I experience in audio quality? I just ordered two 170's today and when they arrive I'll see if I can find some way to fit one in as a center channel. Depending on what happens I'll then know which type to buy to complete my 5.1 system consisting of the Ascends, an Onkyo 595, an Sony DVP-NS500 player, and Hsu VTF-2 sub. (inexpensive but satisfying!)

5. RandyKudor

RandyKudor Stunt Coordinator

Hi Guys,

I too had the same concerns regarding my future purchase with them. In fact, i had two concerns. First was the VTF-2 sub, I want MORE BASS.. solution? The new Hsu VTF-3, although I haven't yet heard this sub, I trust its performance.

Regarding the center, I emailed ascend expressing my concerns (I have a BIG room) and I wanted a much larger center. I was even considering two CBM-170s on their sides for this channel. They told me that they will have a new step up center channel in the coming months, even a step up from the CBM-170, which I love. They also told me that I could upgrade my current center to the new offering so I wouldn't have to wait to buy my system.

This locked in the sale for them and I will be purchasing next month for sure.

I recommend you email ascend and ask 'em about the new center.

6. Ben_wood

Thanks for the heads-up on the new center channel Randy! I'll be sure to look into that. And VTF-2 vs. VTF-3 I also can't decide yet. One thing is for certain, both Ascend and Hsu seem to have their acts together!!!