1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Ascend Acoustics Center Channel Question

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ben_wood, Jun 22, 2002.

1. Ben_wood

Ben_wood Stunt Coordinator

I'm planning on ordering a 5.1 set of speakers from Ascend Acoustics and had originally intended on getting all CBM-170s to go along with the VTF-2 sub. My problem is I don't have enough space between the top of the tv and the component shelf above for a 170 to fit horizontally.However,a HTM-200 will fit just barely.I don't want to have to compromise the audio portion of my system any more than I have to.Will I be satisfied with a HTM-200? If you have this system or have any thoughts about the HTM-200 as a center channel let me know. Thanks.

2. EricE

EricE Agent

Check out Cheap Home Theater, they've got a review of the Ascends. I think they said that they perferred the CBM-170 for the center channel instead of the HTM-200.

3. Denis K

Denis K Agent

Ben,
    I have/had the same question as I am also considering the Ascends. Go here: HTM-200 and scroll down to my question. Then see Kevin's reply just below. Hope this helps.

4. Ben_wood

Thanks Eric and Denis, from what I've read CBM-170's all the way around is the best way to go, but if a 170 won't fit on top of my TV just how much of a drop will I experience in audio quality? I just ordered two 170's today and when they arrive I'll see if I can find some way to fit one in as a center channel. Depending on what happens I'll then know which type to buy to complete my 5.1 system consisting of the Ascends, an Onkyo 595, an Sony DVP-NS500 player, and Hsu VTF-2 sub. (inexpensive but satisfying!)

5. RandyKudor

RandyKudor Stunt Coordinator

Hi Guys,

I too had the same concerns regarding my future purchase with them. In fact, i had two concerns. First was the VTF-2 sub, I want MORE BASS.. solution? The new Hsu VTF-3, although I haven't yet heard this sub, I trust its performance.

Regarding the center, I emailed ascend expressing my concerns (I have a BIG room) and I wanted a much larger center. I was even considering two CBM-170s on their sides for this channel. They told me that they will have a new step up center channel in the coming months, even a step up from the CBM-170, which I love. They also told me that I could upgrade my current center to the new offering so I wouldn't have to wait to buy my system.

This locked in the sale for them and I will be purchasing next month for sure.

I recommend you email ascend and ask 'em about the new center.

6. Ben_wood

Thanks for the heads-up on the new center channel Randy! I'll be sure to look into that. And VTF-2 vs. VTF-3 I also can't decide yet. One thing is for certain, both Ascend and Hsu seem to have their acts together!!!