Ascend 340s vs. Paradigm Studio 40's

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Jacob C, Mar 28, 2005.

1. Jacob C

Jacob C Second Unit

I am looking at these 2 speakers and I have the 340's are as good as the Studio 40's. If so the Ascends are a great value. Can anyone comment on these speakers for me. I thin ki am going to end up ordering the Ascends and give them a try but I wanted to ask another opinion and get a idea how they compare when A/Bed if anyone has done this. Thanks!

2. ErnieGplus

ErnieGplus Extra

If you do get them please post what you think of them im planning on getting some ascend 340's too but just want another persons opinion before buying them.

3. Eddie Horton

Eddie Horton Stunt Coordinator

I've not compared them to the Studio series, but I have compared them to the Monitor series. IMO, the Ascends sound better through the midrange and highs and only give up anything in bass extension. This really isn't a problem since most everyone, myself included, has a sub these days. I got my 340 mains, 340 center, and 170 surrounds for less than the price of one pair of Studio 60's. The Paradigms are damn fine speakers, but in my room with my gear, I don't think I could have done much better.

4. Raj_asaurus

Raj_asaurus Stunt Coordinator

In that price range you might want to check out the Polk LSi9s. They're exquisite.

5. Chris Quinn

Chris Quinn Screenwriter

170 is comparable to Studio 20 minus the bottom end extension. 340 with a good sub is comparable to Studio 100s. IMO the mids are much better with the Ascends.

BTW- I was a huge Paradigm fan that is now an Ascend convert. The 170s replaced my beloved Mini-Monitors with ease.

6. Jacob C

Jacob C Second Unit

Well, it looks like I may be waiting a while before I order my speakers. I was just about to order the Ascend 340s when I found out that its going to cost me $600 to fix my car [​IMG] Oh well, I guess I will have to wait a bit longer. I'll let you know how they stack up against the the Studio 40s when I get them.