What's new

Ascend 340 L/R (1 Viewer)

Cliff L

Grip
Just out of curiosity, where did you get the stands for the 340s that you guys are talking about? Is there a picture of it somewhere and is it another unadvertised product that Ascend carries?

David*RT

Stunt Coordinator
If you want an easy way to build a 2 ch/HT combo system for the family room, may I suggest the following:

1.) Stick with the Marantz 7200 for all channels except the front 2 channels (the most important channels that need better audiophile sonic power)

2.) Buy a dedicated 2 channel amp. such as from:Odyssey Audio ($1070-$1795); Van Alstine Fet Valve 550Ex ($2100); Norh Le Amp 2 ($300/each) (you can preorder this audiophile amp at a substantial discount--$195 each instead of $300 each if you order NOW); or IRD MB100 ($269 each).

3.) Now all you need to tie-in the HT and 2 channel is a 2 ch. preamp tied-in thru HT pass-thru, regular line in/out, or using balanced outputs into amp for the pre and RCAs into the Marantz and amp---most quality 2 ch. amps will carry both RCA and Balanced connections for such things (like the Odyssey). If you like tubes: Van AlstineTranscendance 6 SL Hybrid Tube ($800). Other state-of-the art preamps are: IRD Purist ($665), Acoustic Reality eAR Pre Two ($399), MAD Line 2A Tube Preamp ($220), Odyssey Tempest ($950), Radii Tube Preamp ($800)..........Alot of these preamps can be customized to your needs by asking the designer what you want. These preamps are of an exceptional quality that would completely blow away the Marantz in 2 ch. They don't come with remotes or tone controls, however, some of the options listed above *do* carry these options however.

4.) Now having the amp and pre at such levels, you can later leisurely add a DAC and transport for the CDs. For the DAC, look into: Bolder Mensa DI/O. For a great CD transport, call Dan at Modwright. He'll help you select a good, cheap modified transport (that would also play DVDs) within your budget that to tie the Bolder DAC together.

This advice should hopefully save everyone months and months of research of finding extreme bang/buck deals as ALL these products listed above are tried-&-true and TOP-rated by professionals and users alike.

There are also advantages of buying more than one product from the same manufacturer (Van Alstine, Odyssey, IRD). You can get a package discount, plus get the SYNERGY as all these products were designed to go together.

Re: tubes vs. solid state debate, the better the products in each respective category, the closer they'll sound alike. Tube rolling is a hobby many enjoy, but can get expensive tube experimentation and replacing the tubes when they ultimately die off. Some use a tube pre for tube flavor and an SS amp for the dynamic control (best of both world approach). Some go all tubes, some go all SS. It's all up to what you personally like.

Hope this info helps..........

CurtisSC

Screenwriter
Just out of curiosity, where did you get the stands for the 340s that you guys are talking about? Is there a picture of it somewhere and is it another unadvertised product that Ascend carries?
The stands that are being mentioned are custom stands for the left/right version of the CMT-340. Since that speaker is not currently advertised, the stands aren't either.

www.ascendforum.com

MarkAT

Auditioning
Cliff,

Shoot me a PM and I will send you the pictures of the 340s with their stands (I can't figure out how to attach them here) :)

Mark

Cliff L

Grip
Awww, I feel so loved to have so many of you trying to answer my questions. Unfortunately, the price of the 340c's is a bit out of my price range so it looks like I'm going to have to stick with the 170s for now. Thanks again.

RandyKudor

Stunt Coordinator
I have had my 340s (with stands) for 30-days now and I am..
Keeping them for sure! As usual, they do exactly what Ascend claimed they would do. Play very loud without fatigue yet very detailed, fill a large room with great sound (sound good even from almost anywhere I am positioned), quite warm and easy too listen too.

This is Ascend system #2 in my home!

CurtisSC

Screenwriter
Randy,

I don't think I have ever heard them called warm before....but everythingelse I agree with!

What electronics are you using?

curtis

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks