ASC bass traps finished (graph/pic)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chris Tsutsui, Dec 3, 2002.

1. Chris Tsutsui

Chris Tsutsui Screenwriter

I finished the ASC clone bass traps and you can see pictures of what they look like in my room at the bottom of the page. I also took a lot of pictures of the new build process which involved a spiral wrap of twine that helped with the assembly.
    Amazingly I was able to assemble three by myself in one night. The sonic differences were there, nothing miraculous though as you'll see from the response graph at the bottom (before/after). I plan to run a few more tests and try moving the sub and traps a bit more.
    The page is intended to help newbies build them so if you have any questions let me know and I'll edit the page post haste. [​IMG] As far as the physics behind it, I believe it simply slows down air movement in the high pressure regions of the room hopefully lowering the standing waves that occur. This proved to be true when I measured a 2db increase in SPL at a 63hz room dip just by adding the traps.
    Link to room with pictures of trap sitting on top of adire alignment tempest.
    Link to the Bass trap page only
    I'm very pleased with the sound now so I won't be building diffusor panels like I thought. My room is getting pretty crazy, any comments welcome as they'll probably be better than the comments I've been getting from my family.

2. Vince Bray

Vince Bray Stunt Coordinator

Those look great! I have just been plotting some ASC clones for the future. Have you looked at their acoustic soffit ? This could be a very handy wiring chase, lighting ala rope lights behind the front ledge of the soffit, and bass trap. I think this would also be a good option since it would impact the room in a positive way on all counts, along with some half-round traps to go on the side walls that would look decorative but be functional for full-range frequency absorption. Oh, and when the automatic retracting screen comes in (yeah right) it can be mounted in the soffit and just drop down [​IMG] From their site it looks like the soffit is really just an L shape that closes in the corner of the ceiling.

3. Chris Tsutsui

Chris Tsutsui Screenwriter

Yeah those looks nice, I'd probably go full out if I had a dedicated room of my own but this ones pretty small and is the same room I sleep in. If I did make a soffit it would probably be out of wood and fiberglass. Too bad their site doesn't give out that much information on them. [​IMG]
    I wish I knew somebody that owned ASC tube traps so I could AB compare mine to theirs. This would be a good test to see if they were done right. Is there anyone else out there that added bass traps and not notice a significant change in response? I'd say there was more of a sound quality change, but I thought the response would change more than it did. I just don't want to have a DIY page teaching people how to make traps that arn't effective as the actual product.

4. Vince Bray

Vince Bray Stunt Coordinator

I found alot of info on avsforum about a couple of products that would make all this much easier. They are pre-compressed acoustic fiberglass sheets used for sound absorption. The folks there are lining their walls with it and covering it with fabric, but it would be perfect for bass traps, and require less hassle to compress the 'glass. It apparently comes in different thicknesses, but 1" and 2" seem common. They spec it as being twice as dense as regular 'glass, so the 2" is equivilant to 4" 'glass compressed 2:1.

Permacoate Linacoustic Standard
    Johns Manville insul-shield