What's new

“As themselves”…Actors Portraying Themselves On The Big And Small Screen (1 Viewer)

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
Chuck Yeager also was in The Right Stuff but he wasn't playing himself: he played a bartender.

Jim Lovell, commander of Apollo 13, was also in the movie, playing the captain of the carrier that recovered the Apollo 13 command module when they safely returned; the filmmakers had suggested he play an admiral, but he declined, on the basis that he'd retired as a captain and shouldn't play a rank higher than he'd actually held.

RBailey

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Hall
I always like when an actor plays himself as a total "a-hole". An example is Eddie Cantor playing himself in THANK YOUR LUCKY STARS (1943).

greenscreened

Second Unit
Real Name
Bob
I always like when an actor plays himself as a total "a-hole"...
Me too.
Although I like all the suggestions in the thread and have a playlist of such entries, I was kind of hoping there would be more like the one you offered.

Then I got to thinking that William Shatner must have played some some sort of variation of Audie's theme, so I went to IMDB.
Boy, has he got a list of credits. The first word that came to mind was
RE$IDUAL$!!!, and yet...goodie for him.

The second thought was there are way to many entries of his to visually sift through, so I did a Firefox search within the page for 'himself' and came up with zilch (the Movie, not the After School Special).

Then I noticed all the ones he played himself in were listed (as) William Shatner, not (as) Himself, which is usually the NORM! (the noun, not the bar room fixture) on such sites.
I don't know how the actual screen credits read though.

Apologies for the feeble attempts at levity, it must be the coffee, carry on...

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
In a 1951 comedy Callaway Went Thataway, Clark Gable, Elizabeth Taylor and Esther Williams appear briefly as themselves.

Anna Faris appears as herself in the 2016 film Keanu.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
A perfect example of someone playing himself and being central to the plot rather than doing an incidental cameo is comedian Jan Murray on the hilarious "Boom Boom" episode of "Car 54 Where Are You?"

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks