What's new

As the World Turns - 20 episode set (1 Viewer)

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Happy Holidays SoapClassics!!!
Today I received 2 very nice emails from SoapClassics. The subject was The Edge Of Night and will it be released. The report from them was stay tuned for the next episode. Just a joke what they said was they were looking at all the soaps. I would suggest if you have a P&G soap you would like to see email them in their feedback slot.
My first memory of Edge was when i was a kid not even in school yet. Some guy pushed his wife down a staircase or something in some old building with no body in it. I also remember Phil being another person the same actor playing the two roles. I cannot even remember why but it had to do with fooling his wife. You would get one murder trial so many months and I think each member of the cast was charged with the crime. I think Raven was the last but I cannot be sure on that.

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
I never watched it once it moved to ABC but I remember being a little tyke watching the kidnapping of Nancy Karr (I remember it being very brutal as she opened the door to her attacker and he burst in and chased her around the stage, all in one unbroken shot) That's all I remember of that one but there was also a pretty cool plot with Dorothy Lyman trying to gaslight another character by making the girl think she was seeing the ghost of her dead father. Lyman's character kept giving her victim something she called "wake up pills" that would make the girl wake up at a certain time each night in time to see the "ghostly" apparition. Hahah...I don't know that such pills were ever invented but I WAS very little so maybe I"m just not remembering that Lyman's character was a part time pharmacist or something!

Anyway, anxiously awaiting my ATWT set and I'm definitely in for Guiding Light as well when it's out!

I'll say it again, I was never too fond of the glitzy west coast soaps but I can't get enough of those New York shows that were so much like theater!

I miss them being around as well. I stopped watching regularly years ago when ATWT played shuffleboard with the characters and their motivations one too many times but I loved checking back in every month or so just to keep in touch. I liked that they were there if I wanted them. Guiding Light had gotten so off the rails that watching the end only made me lament how great the show once was and feel pity for what it had become, but watching the last week of As the World Turns surprised me at how much emotion I felt at its end. When Bob Hughes said the final line I will admit to being completely choked up (alright in truth I was a mess) and sad that I wouldn't see these people I literally grew up with ever again.

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
I cannot remember but I know that someone asked if the 90 min episode of Edge still exists. Here is a sample and Soap Classics looks like they may have it.
Here also was the Perry Mason Moment every Edge storyline had.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-x69VvjcE0&feature=related

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Here is a very nice Holiday gift for The Edge of Night Fans and fans of the other soaps listed.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQ_w5f1bXmI&feature=related
The below from another Edge of Night Fan
Great news for all EDGE fans! SoapClassics.com will be releasing a set of EDGE episodes on DVD next year! They have teamed with P&G to release DVD sets of episodes from their classic soaps. They have already released a 20 episode set of AS THE WORLD TURNS. The quality is excellent & the memories are incredible!
They will be releasing a set of GUIDING LIGHT episodes in early 2012 & according to the email response that I received from them, a set of EDGE eps will come later in 2012.
They will also be releasing sets of ANOTHER WORLD, SEARCH FOR TOMORROW & probably TEXAS. I hope that they have soome of SOMERSET that they can release, but I have no confirmation of that. There is a spot on SoapClassics.com whereyou can send them an email.
I urge all EDGE fans to send them an email letting them know how much you arelooking forward to seeing this show on DVD! All I can say is that it's about time!!!!
http://soapclassics.com/index.php/about-soapclassics.html Here is where you can lobby for Edge or for the Soap you would like to see out on DVD
Here are all the openings to EDGE plus two fan created versions for today.

The last credits for the final show of Edge and the lyrics http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&v=CtWRlF0Me4M&NR=1

plus endings from other years and fan endings
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PEIMjq0Srl0&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&v=r8uaKNjgS6E&NR=1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3JTdnid0mMg&feature=related

David Rain

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
Somerset ran from 70-76 so there may not be enough saved episodes of it to do much with. But it would be great to see as much of it as possible.
Somerset fans may want to check out this link:
http://somersetonline.bravepages.com/

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Yeah there's like only one episode of Sommerset on the trading circuit and its a really bad quality copy of a color kiniscope so kiss that goodbye.

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
The Edge Of Night will be 60 years old tomorrow. I wish it were still on the air. My favorite daytime soap next to Dark Shadows of all time. I wish it could be rerun on one of the stations as it was in the 80s on USA network. Funny how ABC negotiated with CBS to keep it on the air until December 1975 when they could move it over to ABC and filled the old Dark Shadows time slot until 1984.

Loved the plots and to think it started after CBS was running Perry Mason on radio planned to move it to TV which was suppose to be EDGE and then put Perry on nighttime in 1956 and Edge then became the first mystery soap to air. I can still remember my Mom watching while she was fixing supper. Some plots even scared me as a little kid. Some guy pushing his wife off a balcony in an old hotel is one of my first memories.

Congratulations to all the actors who are still around and staff for a great iconic soap.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0048860/reviews?ref_=tt_urv

Last edited:

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Last edited:

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Happy Anniversary once again to The Edge of Night! I hope this series is picked up once again for rebroadcast.

Here are more links for those great storylines from the Edge of Night Home Page for fans to lock on too. The very last episode is included. Check out the link at the bottom for all you want to know about Edge. Edge and Dark Shadows were against each other for a time. DS took over as my favorite soap but Edge did try to compete with haunted houses and even a vampire sequence in a dream to Julie Jamison who looks at her husband as a complete fanged vampire!

http://edgehomepage.com/storylines.html

Last edited:

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Last edited:

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
I didn't know that kinescopes were still being made in the '70s, and that decade was the heart of my childhood!

THE EDGE OF NIGHT certainly had its own unique flavor, especially in the Soap Opera genre!

CHEERS! :)

David Rain

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
Yes, it's true that P&G supposedly have everything after the late 70's. Before that, few episodes of soaps were saved because of tape space. That's true of most soaps with a few exceptions like 'The Doctors'.

At one point, P&G were "digitizing" their entire tape archive to make them available for more modern uses such as DVD & streaming. My preference would be for streaming (which was done years ago on AOL) since DVD is simply not a proper way to feature hundreds of soap opera episodes.

In any event, the DVD releases of P&G shows has long since been discontinued.

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
I still hope that someone buys the P&G library with the intellectual rights to those soaps- with luck, perhaps ATWT or GL could be revived.

classictvfan40

Second Unit
Real Name
Ron
I was lucky to have purchased every single release of ATWT and GL. It brings back great memories. I also was able to pick up the early B&B DVDs as well. I wish they would release more ATWT on DVD again. Its a shame they stopped releasing them.

David Rain

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
If more DVD's are released it would likely be a different company doing it since the contract between P&G and the previous company ran out. This was the "official" reason the DVD's stopped. Low sales might also have been a factor.

As for reviving some of their soaps, it's unlikely. Prospect Park were unable to continue to finance more eps of AMC & OLTL. There have been attempts to revive GL (according to one of the show's former actors) but nothing has come of it.

As far as P&G soaps are concerned, I really hope they get (or have gotten) their archive cleaned up & will be able to stream them at some point. A few years ago there was a soap "channel" on AOL with lots of old eps of P&G soaps. If only this could be revived.

David Rain

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
A deal with Netflix or Hulu to do which? Streaming old episodes would still require that the network videotapes be "digitized" first. That's expensive & time consuming. Hulu has already hosted new episode revivals of both AMC & OLTL.

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
The success of Dark Shadows on DVD proves that it can be done. I see Santa Barbara as an excellent candidate for DVD release: it was a by Emmy winner with a cult following and all the episodes have been archived. Sony should also consider compilation discs for its long-running soaps Days of our Lives, The Young and the Restless, and The Bold & The Beautiful. Perhaps ABC/Disney will want to try the soaps-on-home video scheme again in the near future.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks