What's new

As the World Turns - 20 episode set (1 Viewer)

Tory

-The Snappy Sneezer- -Red Huck-
Real Name
Tory
AlanP said:
YOUTUBE HAS SARA KARR'S DEATH SCENE FROM 'EDGE OF NIGHT" IN 1961. IT CAUSED AN UPROAR ON DAYTIME TELEVISION TEAL AMES (SARA) HAD TO GO ON TELEVISION AND REASSURE AUDIENCES SHE WAS INDEED NOT DEAD. CBS WAS FLOODED WITH PHONE CALLS AFTER HER DEATH SCENE. THE AUDIENCE THOUGHT SHE HAD DIED FOR REAL........
I find this so hard to believe. Maybe one or to crazy people but I just can't buy a 60s audience thinking that. I hear tell of people believing old radio soaps were real too and Jack Benny as well. At least he presented the show as if it were really him but it was pretty obvious it was a scripted show with maybe some improvisation. I think all of these stories of people believing it were industry created hype and before someone compares it tho Orson Welles War of the Worlds that was a bit different if you tuned in blindly.

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Alan you are very correct! I do not understand why people could not understand TV Soaps from the real world back then but my Mother told me the story just as you stated it.. I am a Dark Shadows fan Dallas and Peyton Place. I know these shows are pure entertainment far less then what we see today.
I want Edge out there and and would snap it up. I too would love to see to see the 90 minute Edge episode when Nicole returns. I know there are color episodes of the shows after Nicole returns also on YOUTUBE.

David Rain

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
Let's hope ABC follows the example of P&G and will begin streaming their soap archive or will license it to someone who knows that they're doing. It goes without saying that the ABC soap lineup is legendary and includes the obvious ones like AMC, OLTL & GH but also lower-rated shows like Ryan's Hope, Loving, The City & Port Charles.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
David Rain said:
Let's hope ABC follows the example of P&G and will begin streaming their soap archive or will license it to someone who knows that they're doing. It goes without saying that the ABC soap lineup is legendary and includes the obvious ones like AMC, OLTL & GH but also lower-rated shows like Ryan's Hope, Loving, The City & Port Charles.
I'm also hoping this method of releasing old, long running soaps on DVD, or some type of streaming deal, succeeds. Not only for soaps (which I don't really have an interest in, but many people still do), but for game shows to be released in the same manner.
Soaps and Game Shows are in the same boat... both have decades of material at 5 days a week for 40+ weeks a year, which makes them too big to release on DVD. And the niche networks for soaps and game shows have died, with Soap Network going off the air soon and GSN becoming the home for dating shows and Dancing With The Stars while cutting classics down to the bone and only airing the same 200 episodes of the few classics remaining on the schedule over and over. So, streaming or this highly specialized DVD release method is all that's left to get shows like this out there.
As for the ATWT box set... I ordered a copy for a christmas gift. Wish I had waited an extra week, so I could have picked up the 20 episode set plus the Christmas disc for only 5 bucks extra.

MishaLauenstein

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Misha Lauenstein
David Rain said:
I will echo the idea the "Texas" probably does exist in nearly it's entirety. I know that it streamed on AOL a few years ago and I believe it started with it's very first episode. However, according to a post on its Wikipedia page, a few of its episodes seem to be missing or mislabeled.
I remember this with Texas and Another World, and I remember at the time concluding that the person who was digitizing them had accidentally overwritten the previous file when storing the episode. I believe there was a discrepancy between the dates and episode numbers that led me to believe this.
So I feel that these episodes exist, but the digital copies were accidentally overwritten after being digitized, or possibly during the transfer (with renaming) to AOL's site.

David Rain

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
I would also say that if you are going to order the ATWT sets then you should do it yesterday as it will take several weeks to arrive if you are ordering it for Christmas.
But regardless, if you are a ATWT fan you NEED to order this set if you want to see it and other classic soaps released in any form. Money talks!
If you are not an ATWT fan, then perhaps you know someone who does and who would love to have the set. Keep in mind that older fans who've been watching soaps for decades, often don't have a computer and will know nothing about these releases. If your grandmother is a soap fan then you have the perfect Christmas gift idea for her. You will also be helping to assure that we see more sets in the future.

Statskeeper

Second Unit
Real Name
Maureen
David Rain said:
Keep in mind that older fans who've been watching soaps for decades, often don't have a computer and will know nothing about these releases. If your grandmother is a soap fan then you have the perfect Christmas gift idea for her. You will also be helping to assure that we see more sets in the future.
You're right about that. My mother offered to get this for me for Christmas but I had to do the ordering because she doesn't know how to use a computer at all.

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
I am still holding out for Edge. I remember some great plots from that series. Dark Shadows was not the first soap to do on location shooting Edge was. I wonder if it was the only soap to do it. I remember the cliff hanger episode before it went off the air for several weeks when it played on ABC. I also remember the live broadcasts which I think ended after it's run on CBS.

David Rain

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
It's hard to say which (if any) of the P&G soaps will be the next to see a DVD release. I'm sure everyone is hoping for their own favorite. My best best would be that Guiding Light will be released next since it was canceled only a couple of years ago and has decades of episodes to choose from. I'm hoping its box set will be designed similar to the ATWT one with a "theme" for each disc. I have not heard if SoapClassics is perhaps already working on a set for GL.
I think only if the initial releases are successful will we see additional shows such as Edge & Search For Tomorrow, etc released. However, regardless of how well the sets sell and how many there are, I hope we will get to see all of the available eps streamed online. It would be absolute heaven for long-time, devoted soap fans.

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
Edge, like Dark Shadows, has a devoted cult following, so I think there's a better chance of that show being put out in DVD compilations than say, Search for Tomorrow or Texas. On the other hand, Another World may be put out sooner merely because it was on the air longer and has more archived shows.

AlanP

Screenwriter
Real Name
BAP
Remember in the 60's Mike And Sarah Karr were the premiere couple on daytime soaps. Edge was originally in a late afternoon slot and had a huge after school crowd and many male followers. It was a crime show and styled after "PERRY MASON". It was a crime soap originally so the audience had more of a male slant although still aiming to housewives as well.
Many people thought John Larkin (Mike Karr) and Teal Amers (Sarah Karr) were husband and wife in real life. Although he was actually married in real life to Mary K. Wells (Louise Capice). I know for a fact there are early shows as I have watched them at the TELEVISION AND RADIO SHOW HALL OF FAME. So, many soaps may more shows available.

David Rain

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
I'm anxious for Soap Classics to announce their after-holiday release plans. They have only given vague clues as to what they will be doing next. Other than possible streaming eps of ATWT, they've revealed nothing. I did read an interview with someone associated with the company who said they were very happy with the sales so far of the ATWT set. So I'm confident they will move forward with more content.

David Rain

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
Confirming the internet rumors, I recently received an email from Soap Classics confirming that a Guiding Light DVD box set is indeed scheduled for the first quarter of 2012. No word on exactly when that will be. Perhaps after the ATWT set has had time to sell more copies. I'm hoping there will also be Valentine's Day-themed sets for some of these shows spotlighting weddings and/or popular couples.

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
Wow, all I needed to see was that brief teaser clip from the 1985 Christmas episode and I felt like a kid again. I used to race home from school to watch ATWT on videotape as it was that great era when Doug Marland really turned that show around with incredible plots (like Douglas Cummings stalking Kim that's referenced in this episode) and great characters. LOVE those great New York soaps!

In fact, the reason I held on to my VCR for as long as I did was because I didn't want to give up the ATWT episodes I had saved for all those years from 1985 and 1986 (yeah I was a weird kid!)

Ordered both sets with the coupon code and took them up on the free shipping. $22.45 for the whole kit and kaboodle!

Thanks guys (I NEVER would have known about this set except for this thread!)

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Will thanks for making me check the web page out and no you were not a werid kid. Many of us watched these shows. I just wish The Edge Of Night was listed among the soaps they have listed here.
http://soapclassics.com/index.php/about-soapclassics.html I wonder if the night time ATWT exists?? I am very happy for all of us soap fans. I will keep my fingers crossed that EDGE will come out. I would put out my money for that series in a flash.

David Rain

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
Edge Of Night was a popular, unique series that even switched networks at one point. I would think that as long as these sets sell well enough that you'll get to see an EON box set as well. GL is supposedly next in line. However, I'm not sure which show might be after that. I'm guessing Another World as it was the number one daytime soap during its prime.

Statskeeper

Second Unit
Real Name
Maureen
Will Krupp said:
Wow, all I needed to see was that brief teaser clip from the 1985 Christmas episode and I felt like a kid again.  I used to race home from school to watch ATWT on videotape as it was that great era when Doug Marland really turned that show around with incredible plots (like Douglas Cummings stalking Kim that's referenced in this episode) and great characters. LOVE those great New York soaps!
I had the same experience recently, but with Guiding Light. I bought the "Roger Thorpe: The Scandal Years" videotape on Amazon and watched it this past week. The whole Roger/Holly/Ed triangle is what got me hooked on the show. I may one of the few people who didn't care for Josh and Reva, and when she became the focus I really stopped watching.

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
Originally Posted by Statskeeper /t/315748/as-the-world-turns-20-episode-set/30#post_3878241
I had the same experience recently, but with Guiding Light. I bought the "Roger Thorpe: The Scandal Years" videotape on Amazon and watched it this past week. The whole Roger/Holly/Ed triangle is what got me hooked on the show. I may one of the few people who didn't care for Josh and Reva, and when she became the focus I really stopped watching.
I didn't mention Guiding Light in my previous post but that was on my watch list as well. I was raised on both. In fact, watching Guiding Light goes back even further because that one was on later and I could watch it after school with my nana even before VHS. I too have fond memories of the Roger/Holly/Ed triangle and especially of Ed's wife Rita. I distinctly remember the show expanding to an hour around the same time Lenore Kasdorf's character had been kidnapped and she was briefly replaced by another actress during her maternity leave. Writer Doug Marland (who really made ATWT the soap to watch from the mid to late 80's) was also responsible for writing the "end" of Roger Thorpe in 1979 and created the events that led up to my favorite daytime murder mystery of all time, that of Alan's assistant Diane Ballard. Marland LOVED writing soaps and he always respected the history of the show's he worked on. NOBODY and I mean NOBODY could spin a summer murder mystery like he could (though his themes DID tend to repeat themselves from show to show....there are more than a few similarities between the GL Diane Ballard mystery of 1980 (ish) and the ATWT Tad Channing mystery of 1986.)

When I say I was raised on soaps I wasn't kidding (my mother and I were BOTH raised on CBS soaps.) In fact, probably my first TV memory was of watching a Guiding Light character being poisoned and dropping dead right on my TV screen. It stuck with me and I was totally fascinated and kept pestering my grandmother with questions about it. I recently looked up when the event happened and, while my vanity PREVENTS me from mentioning the year, I CAN say I wasn't yet four years old (the stuff they let us watch!!)

Good Good memories!

Kevin L McCorry

Second Unit
Here are a couple of YouTube montages of EON clips of the '60s and '70s.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8uaKNjgS6E&feature=relmfu
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CtWRlF0Me4M&feature=relmfu

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Kevin enjoyed the clips. Here is The Edge of Night homepage and a fan restored opening I have always enjoyed
http://members.fortunecity.com/eonman/

soaps they have listed here.
http://soapclassics.com/index.php/about-soapclassics.html
What they have said here allows me to believe Edge may be on their list.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks