As much as it hurts me to admit to myself, computer games just aren't for me.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Kevin Alexander, Aug 22, 2001.

1. Kevin Alexander

Kevin Alexander Screenwriter

I love games, computer and console. Recently, I picked up Max Payne from Best Buy and started playing it. My frustration comes from trying to remember all of the function keys on the keyboard in time to be effective, while at the same time trying to manuver the mouse so I can get an accurate shot at the bad guys. Well to make a long story short, the bad guys have made enough hamburger of me to have a backyard barbeque [​IMG]. There are just way too many key commands to remember while controlling the mouse!!! I've run into the same problems while playing other games that I was interested in like flight simulators, FPSs, and combat sims. Well, as much as I hate to do it, I don't think i'll be buying anymore computer games - i'll just stick to the console games w/ their one controller and less buttons. Ironically, I can't wait for the XBOX!!! A moment of silence for computer games in this house......

2. Dennis Reno

Dennis Reno Supporting Actor

I have to second your opinion Kevin. That is why I stay away from the vast majority of computer games. Diablo II being the exception. Nothing easier than pointing and clicking...
    ------------------
    See where the HTF [email protected] group ranks HERE
    Currently 130th in the world!

3. Brian Perry

Brian Perry Cinematographer

The problem I have with many games is that I get motion sickness, especially watching others play.

4. Dean DeMass

Dean DeMass Screenwriter

I am so used to playing with a keyboard and mouse now, that when I play my Dreamcast or N64, I feel naked without all the extra buttons. [​IMG]
    -Dean-
    ------------------
    My HT Equipment
    "I've seen you and you are not cool."

5. Tim Markley

Tim Markley Screenwriter

I don't like games with too many buttons either although I haven't really had a problem with FPS type games. I've tried a few flight simulator games in the past only to give up in frustration because of the many buttons. About the only games that I play on the computer any more are RPGs and Diablo II (which I love! [​IMG]). Other games are better played on my PS2 or DC.

6. AjayM

AjayM Screenwriter

Max Payne, what a cool game. Here's what I did to help out with the problems you specified. Again, this is just what works for me...your mileage may vary.
    First, get used to using the mouse with your left hand, this leaves your right hand available to use the keypad on the keyboard.
    Second, map the keys on the keypad properly.
    -Forward is up arrow
    -Backward is down arrow
    -side step are the left/right arrow's
    -jump - 0/ins key
    -crouch - enter key
    -painkillers - + (plus) key
    -reload - 7 (home) key
    Those are the bigger keys that I map (I'm sure I've forgotten some).
    Mouse, this is important also.
    Mouse movement - is just where Max looks
    Wheel - scroll through the weapons
    1st button - Fire
    2nd button - Combined bullet-time
    This means my right hand is free to do all important tasks, and my left hand is always on the trigger and able to point max in the right direction.
    Finishing the game in the first level of difficulty isn't to hard, just remember to save often (default is F5 for quick save). Once you've finished the easy level, the others open up, and they become VERY difficult (ie 1-2 shots and you're dead).
    Andrew
    ------------------

7. Joel Mack

Joel Mack Cinematographer

Andrew,
    I'm with you on the mouse assignments, but for someone who's a righty, I'd think it would be easier to keep the mouse in the right hand, and use the left hand for the following:
    Forward = W
    Backward = S
    Sidestep left = A
    Sidestep right = D
    Jump = Space
    Crouch = C
    Use = E
    Reload = R
    Painkillers = TAB
    Of couse, if you're a lefty to begin with, your original scheme works well... I just couldn't imagine trying to relearn how to mouselook... [​IMG]
    ------------------
    "If we blow up, whatever's left of me is kickin' your butt."

8. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    Dean DeMass: Why dont you get a keyboard/mouse for your dreamcast? Since the DC Price drop, the hardware price is also dropping...
    Hehe, you're complaining about remembering each button, imagine playing a FPS on a dreamcast controller. You have to move, aim, shoot, 2ndary fire, crouch, lean left, lean right, lie down, reload, jump, zoom in, grenade, C4, Flash pak, change guns, and more, all on a controller with 12 buttons (Counting analog stick as one button, and each direction on D-pad as one button).
    Or playing Phantasy Star Online or some other online game... Typing with a gamepad is frustrating as hell.

9. Troy LaMont

Troy LaMont Supporting Actor

Kev,
    I'm 100% behind you there. K.I.S.S. for me, I'm a long fan of console gaming and I don't think there's a place for me in computer gaming.
    Troy
    ------------------
    No touchy, No touchy (Kuzco)

10. Dean Cooper

Dean Cooper Supporting Actor

Well I used to buy atleast one game a month for my PC, but then I bought this game called Everquest...My PC gaming life has never been the same since. Most of the current games use a higher end machine than I have right now so they really don't interest me that much. I still love playing the older games on my PC but like most of the people here I tend to stick to the ones that don't use more than 5 or 6 keys. I used to develop a few years back and was much bigger into it then.
    Dean
    [Edited last by Dean Cooper on August 22, 2001 at 11:19 PM]

11. Dean Cooper

Dean Cooper Supporting Actor

Hah, I remember finishing Half-Life for the first time...man I was pissed for a long time, LAME ending to a great game.
    Dean

12. Derrik Draven

Derrik Draven Supporting Actor

Chris
    Yeah, Half Life has a kind of lame ass ending. But, it certainly sets things up for the sequel.
    Speaking of which...has ANYONE heard ANYTHING about it's sequel? I haven't. It's hard to fathom not hearing a thing now since it's been over 2 years since one of the most popular computer games ever, came out. You'd think we would've heard s-o-m-e-t-h-i-n-g by now...?!!?
    Back to the topic, I've been a computer game player (and console) since I 1st got my Apple II+, back in '82. YIKES!!!
    Anyhoo...I've jumped back and forth from pc's to consoles as the power shifted back and forth, to get the best gaming experience.
    Now, after all these years, when we have some of the best computer games around yet, I'm growing sick and tired of config problems, and bugs, and having to download patches to make it work better....only to find that the patch slaps in a few new bugs.
    *sigh*
    Know what my config problems are with my Playstation II? Where to sit my beer and the remote. Once I have that configured, it's gametime...no patches needed!!!!
    This xmas, I'm buying a new pc since my P2/300 is, well...tired. BUT, since I own a PS2 and, I'll have the XBox when it's out, there is absolutely no need to have a gaming pc. I'm just going to get whatever $1000 can get me. All I use this thing for now is bullshitting with you guys, checking my email, and balancing my checkbook.
    Gaming is better on a couch and a 60"Proscan, running through a DefTech sound system anyways. Try and beat that with a pc....!!!!
    ------------------
    "...better to have a gun and not need it than to need a gun and not have it". - Slater, True Romance

13. paul h

paul h Supporting Actor

Read today that Half Life2 or whatever it will be called is 6 months from being finished.

14. Kenneth

Kenneth Supporting Actor

I think for the most part, action games that are not multiplayer are probably better suited for the console. However, as a strategy and RPG gamer I find the computer a much better vehicle than consoles. Also, until consoles become HDTV capable the computers will be capable of much better graphics. I look forward to the day (hopefully not that far away) where we have computers with wall size monitors and voice interfaces. Think of the gaming then [​IMG]
    Kenneth

15. Dean DeMass

Dean DeMass Screenwriter

quote: Dean DeMass: Why dont you get a keyboard/mouse for your dreamcast? Since the DC Price drop, the hardware price is also dropping...[/quote]
    NickSo,
    I do have a keyboard but never bought the mouse. I only bought the keyboard for typing while playing NFL2K1 online.
    Some FPS on consoles actually give me motion sickness, I don't know why, maybe it is because of the lower resolution of the television or something? Actually, I have been playing PC games more and more lately. Max Payne, Counter-Strike (last 2 years), Half-Life, Soldier of Fortune, Black and White, NHL 2001 (blows any console version away), Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine, Jedi Knight, Unreal Tournament (game is worthless without online play), Nascar 4, Rouge Spear, etc........
    I just started playing Sonic Adventure 2 and I like it a lot so far. I can't wait for NFL2K2 in a few weeks. [​IMG]
    -Dean-
    ------------------
    My HT Equipment
    "I've seen you and you are not cool."
    [Edited last by Dean DeMass on August 24, 2001 at 09:45 AM]