As i expected, Chips Season 5 DVD set coming out on March 28, 2017, next to last season of the show

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by rmw650, Dec 5, 2016.

Tags:
  1. rmw650

rmw650 Screenwriter

Richard W
    Just wanted to send out a message in that Chips Season Five DVD Set will be coming out on March 28, 2017 and then figuring we should be done with said series in 2018 when the sixth and final season comes out, but that is just a ventured guess at my end, but the pattern is holding up so far on this show.

Here is the news report from the TV site but no cover art as of yet:

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/CHiPs-Season-5/22859

Amazon has this up as a pre-order listing already for $24.98

https://www.amazon.com/CHiPs-Complete-Season-Larry-Wilcox/dp/B01N5ABUSQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1480983986&sr=8-1&keywords=chips+season+5

2. Wonderfrog68

Wonderfrog68 Agent

Pascal
    I'll definitely get that.

3. rmw650

rmw650 Screenwriter

Richard W
    And now i see why this show's season five is getting released on the date that it is scheduled to come out and here is the proof of that..."Warner Bros. announced Tuesday that writer-director-star Dax Shepard’s CHiPs will now open March 24, 2017, moving up several months from its previous release date of Aug. 11." (FROM EW.com)

4. Oliver Ravencrest

Oliver Ravencrest Screenwriter

Ron
    Great news!

5. The Obsolete Man

The Obsolete Man Cinematographer

Robert
    I hope they shove S6 out there to tie in with the home video release of the film.

6. rmw650

rmw650 Screenwriter

Richard W
    Here is the cover art for Season 5 via Amazon.com...

[​IMG]

Oliver Ravencrest and JayHink like this.
  7. rmw650

rmw650 Screenwriter

Richard W
    Bob,

I think that Season 6 will be out either when the DVD/BD debuts possibly in October 2017 or released in Spring 2018, where it is following a set pattern of releases when it comes to this program.

8. rmw650

rmw650 Screenwriter

Richard W
  9. rmw650

rmw650 Screenwriter

Richard W
    UPDATE: This DVD set is now coming out two weeks earlier than first reported...according to VideoETA.com and Amazon.com, the set now will be released BEFORE the new movie premieres and the new date will be March 14, 2017 and not March 28, 2017 as originally reported.

Ron1973 likes this.
  10. Bryan^H

Bryan^H Producer

A whopper of a season with 27 episodes. I'm not too thrilled with 6 eps. per disc, but the picture quality is ok. I watched the first two yesterday. Really fun show. I can't wait for 6.

11. Bryan^H

Bryan^H Producer

After watching all 6 episodes on disc 1 I have to say the eps with Bruce Jenner filling in for Ponch were pretty bad.

The standout episode for me was "Weed Wars" the worst titled ep. on the disc turned out to be my favorite.
    It premiered Oct. 31, 1981(The Halloween episode). Funny, I got the spooky/supernatural vibe watching it. After I finished I looked it up, sure enough it aired on Halloween.

A young boy is thought to have "hexing" powers, and his schoolmates think he can turn into a coyote. Ponch , and John don't believe it, and with the help of the boys older sister(a gorgeous blonde actress I have never seen before) they try to figure out what is causing the unexplained oddities he "creates".
    Wonderful, and entertaining.

12. rmw650

rmw650 Screenwriter

Richard W
    I'm surprised they even renewed it for a season six as that show really lost its basings after Wilcox left the series. The show should have ended at five seasons and called it a day but it'll be nice to see the show finally completed on the DVD format once June comes, albeit the current movie in theaters is just terrible.

13. rmw650

rmw650 Screenwriter

Richard W
    Out on June 6, 2017 to officially complete this series...[​IMG]

skylark68 likes this.
  14. classictvfan40

classictvfan40 Stunt Coordinator

Ron
    Can't wait to get this and complete the series in my collection.

15. Mark Y

Mark Y Supporting Actor

I looked at Season 5 at Wal-Mart and this just kind of rubbed me the wrong way. They mention guest stars in the episodes, and among them it says "Caitlin Jenner (as Bruce Jenner)." I can sort of understand why they phrased it that way; it must have been awkward -- I imagine there were meetings with the legal department and so forth -- but seriously? It reads like Caitlin Jenner (who didn't exist yet) was the performer, and "Bruce Jenner" was just a character.

bmasters9 likes this.
  16. 16 Apr 10, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2017
    Bryan^H

Bryan^H Producer

I didn't realize that. That is strange.

Going forward with this set (now on disc 2, I just watched another stinker "A Diamond In The Rough") I think I will just skip the episodes with Bruce Jenner filling in for Erik Estrada. Nothing at all political about my decision. The episodes he has been in have been dreadful. A serious waste of time. Without the Ponch/John dynamic the show suffers anyway, but add to that a non-actor and horrible stories, and it is a recipe for disaster.

Was Erik Estrada in contract dispute this season? His absence has been felt, and it has negatively impacted the show overall.

EDIT:
    Found this on Wikipedia:
    "Following a salary dispute with NBC in the fall of 1981, Estrada was briefly replaced by Olympic Gold Medalist and actor Bruce Jenner"

I just checked IMDB and found that there are only 6 episodes that Jenner replaced Estrada. Thank goodness. I already watched 5 of the 6.

17. skylark68

skylark68 Second Unit

Timothy
    My wife has been binge watching Walking Dead so I haven't had a chance to view Season 5 yet. I've been kind of curious to revisit the Jenner episodes, it's been a long time since I've watched these. Sort of like Season 5 of the Dukes of Hazzard and the replacement cousins.

Great to see that Season 6 has a release date. I was afraid with the flop of the movie it wouldn't get green lit.

Bryan^H likes this.
  18. bmasters9

bmasters9 Screenwriter

Ben Masters
    I think that what they were going for was that the woman who is Caitlin Jenner now was the man named Bruce Jenner at the time of CHiPs, long before the gender change. That's just how I read it.

19. Ron1973

Ron1973 Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire

Ron Reagan (not that one!)
    Just a quick aside so as not to derail the topic, but I'm one of the few who actually liked Coy and Vance and wished they would've found a way for them to stay on.

20. rmw650

rmw650 Screenwriter

Richard W
    And just an update to provide for you guys and gals that the movie that was released earlier this year is coming out on BD and DVD on June 27, 2017, but I do not recommend getting this whatsoever as it had absolutely nothing to do with the original show and it was just plain awful and unfunny...http://www.dvdactive.com/news/releases/chips.html

[​IMG]