What's new

Artwork: Kill Bill Volume 2 (1 Viewer)

James_Shu

Auditioning
As much as I love the image of Uma in the bridal gown holding her Hanzo sword, it just didn't look very good next to the Vol. 1 cover. The “KILL BILL” font was particularly terrible and Japanese characters just made it look tacky. This “new” cover looks much more attractive and stylish (with the yellow horizontal line and whatnot) even if it does have Tarantino’s name on the cover not once, but twice.

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
Actually that was Chinese, not Japanese, lettering on the front of the original DVD, IIRC. ;)

Bob-N

Supporting Actor
I liked the original bride pic better for the vol. 2 cover. The thing that bothers me the most in the vol 1 cover and the "alternate" vol. 2 cover is Uma's extra blonde hair. It doesn't match the color she had in the films. It sticks out too much IMHO.

James_Shu

Auditioning
Heh, you're right, on closer inspection that is Chinese. Traditional it looks like, but I could be wrong. I guess I just assumed it was Japanese considering the Vol. 1 teaser poster had the Japanese characters for "Ki-ru Bi-ru" in the background.

Rhett_Y

Screenwriter
Does anyone have the cover art for the "super" editions coming out later in the year..?? I like the first one better but I like the second one because it goes with the theme of the first one....

R~

JohnDMoore

Stunt Coordinator
I think I'm happy with the change. As long as we see some version of the first artwork on some future release. Or maybe I'll just buy the poster. It kicks ass.

Haggai

Senior HTF Member
The bridal dress/sword combination is a lot better in my book. It's on the cover of the Vol. 2 soundtrack CD.

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter

Ummmmmm, no. I will go back to my original quote. I hate when they mess with original movie poster art. Neither Vol 1 or the latest cover of Vol 2 are anywhere close to the original posters, not to say that I don't like them or that they don't look good and stylish, but I'll take original movie poster art over the other stuff anyday,unless it is some kind of special edition or boxed set like LOTR or something like that.

Jacob_isham

Stunt Coordinator
Volume one was a far better movie IMO. Volume 2 was ok, but dragged on in many places, just didn't have the same flare as volume 1, and the big showdown with bill at the end was disapointing to say the least. I realize i'm in the minority here, as from the reviews i've read, people seem to prefer volume 2 and claim that volume 1 didn't make any sence. I loved the first film and was looking forward to volume 2 only to find it a big let down, for starters bill was a lot more menacing in volume 1 when we dont get to see him, in volume 2 he doesnt have much screen presence IMO, he just doesn't give the impression he is that dangerous, but in vol 1, you know he's a man not to be messed with.

Patrick Soucy

Second Unit
I'm with Jacob_isham...

Loved vol. 1, but the second was too different... Too much like the previous Tarantino Movies.

I think I'll only wait the eventual "Special Uncut Edition" of Volume 1 on DVD.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
It's Hard to say you liked 1 instaed of Two becasue it was supposed to be one movie and who's to say how it would've flowed as one movie. I agree Part one Moves much quicker, and the End with Bill is talky especially Bill's Lengthy Comic Book monologue,, but I liked it just even so.

BrionL

Stunt Coordinator
I'll be picking this one up when it is released. I may pick up subsequent versions latter on.

Brion

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
Disappointing to read: To be honest, while I really loved Volume 2, I do think there were a few scenes that could have used a bit more trimming than it sounds like he has given it.

James_Shu

Auditioning
Agreed. As much as I enjoyed seeing Vol. 2, I was very disappointed with the editing. You could blame Sally Menke (Tarantino's editor since "Pulp") but I think Tarantino himself is mostly to blame. {rant}The Pai Mei sequence was flawless but the rest just came off as too drawn out and pretentious. And the problem with both "Volumes" is that they lack balance. Vol. 1 was a discontinuous, enjoyable and over-the-top romp. Vol. 2 is just slow-moving and anti-climatic. It just takes itself too fucking seriously.{/rant}

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
I don't know that I would go that far. Most of Vol 2 I thought was well done - I would probably just reduce the time spent at Budd's work, and cut out the guy in Mexico (yes, he tells the Bride where Bill is, but I would have just assumed Sophie told her).

John CW

Supporting Actor
Vol.1 had a MUCH better cover, I really don't like this Vol.2 one :frowning:

Guess I'm alone, though :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks