What's new

Artists Whose Music Has Been Featured on TV: Do You Have Any Questions For Them? (1 Viewer)

Daniel Swartz

Second Unit
In a couple of days, I will be interviewing a handful of popular artists and bands whose music has been featured on a wide variety of TV shows (e.g., The O.C., Conviction, Letterman, Ferguson, TRL, etc.) and music videos.

The TV aspect of these conversations is important to me and is why I chose to open this thread in the TV group instead of the Music one.

Rather than relying solely on my own set of questions, I thought it would be fun this time to ask if any HTF members had any questions that they would like for me to try and have answered about the entire "music-on-TV" experience.

I'd rather not mention the artists' names yet because I'd like to steer the focus of this thread away from specific artist questions in order to focus instead on more general inquiries as it relates to the television industry, late night talk show circuit, music video production, etc.

So fire away folks! And thanks in advance for the suggestions!

Cheers,

Dan

P.S. Just to avoid any confusion, please only volunteer questions and topics that you are comfortable letting other people (including me!) use, without restriction or compensation, anywhere and for any purpose. This is obviously intended as a very public discussion! :)

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
I don't have a problem with the use of "popular" songs in TV shows, it is much better than have a lame studio band recording a song that kind of sounds like something I've heard before. I do like it when shows, such as the ones on the network formerly known as the WB, would say what the songs were at the end of the program. If it was a song I liked, I might actually go out and buy the record the next day.

I guess what I would like to know is, do the shows pay the artists for the use of their songs, or do the artists/labels pay to have their songs on a popular show? I remember in the early days of MTV, there was a controversy over labels having to pay the network to play the videos (because MTV was saying they were commercials for products (records) then the labels turned around and said, "If you don't pay us and start playing a lot of our other bands more often, you won't get the next Michael Jackson or Huey Lewis video).

Scott-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
I guess I would ask why some try and hold studios hostage when they want to release a TV show on dvd? Asking for sky high dollars to allow them to use the music on the dvd release is the same as extortion in my book. They should be happy more people will be exposed to their art, not use the release as a way to squeeze more money out of the studios.

Daniel Swartz

Second Unit
It's an interesting process for sure. I've interviewed artists who were recently signed to a label and they themselves are somewhat interested in whether or not their music would be featured more or less on TV now that they are more formally represented.

For better or worse, I believe that it's more about what the labels want more so than the artists. Unless of course we're talking about household names (e.g., U2, The Beatles, etc.) in which case the artists usually own their own labels...

Please keep the questions coming! Thanks everyone.

Ryan L. Bisasky

Second Unit
I was wondering, why is it that every time it seemed like the same 5 or so songs were on 5 different shows? (for example, i heard that riannah song "pon dom replay" on Related, Entourage, the O.C., veronica mars, and one tree hill. Also, do the labels pay networks to put certain songs on, or do the show's creators/directors get to pick and choose what songs to play?

Daniel Swartz

Second Unit
Ryan: Sometimes, shows on different networks use the same music supervisor which is one of the reasons why soundtracks for different shows can sound the same. For example, Alex Patsavas has worked on both "The O.C." and "Grey's Anatomy".

If the same specific song is being used repeatedly, however, my guess is that some promotional consideration is involved. This doesn't always mean that money changes hands though.

Warner Bros. Television likes to use artists signed to Warner Bros. Records, for example, much as the Disney Channel's soundtrack to "High School Musical" was released on Disney Records.

Martino

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Martin O.
I've noticed that sometimes songs are edited/chopped up for shows (missing a verse, just using the chorus, ect...) - Do they have veto power on edits? Has any of them rejected a use of their songs due to an edit, or do they even care?

Daniel Swartz

Second Unit
For those interested in checking it out, my latest interview was posted online at the following address:

My Interview with Holly Brook

In addition to being a terrific solo artist, Holly also of course provided backup vocals to the Fort Minor song, "Where'd You Go?".

Hope you guys enjoy it!

Best,

Dan

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks