What's new

Artisan's novelty packaging for TOTAL RECALL and BASIC INSTINCT does it bite? (1 Viewer)

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
I like the little planet tin that TOTAL RECALL comes in, yea! The box for BASIC INSTINCT gorey edition is another matter, it is crap! This is packaging that certainly will lead to scratched discs, since it's hard to open and the disc isn't locked down. I'll be transplanting mine into a proper box. I think the ball point pen that looks like an ice pick, that's included, is sorta stupid or sick, well both. Reach out and and stab someone...Despite liking TR's little tin, I hope future discs come in standard packaging 99% of the time.
------------------
Rachael, the big disc cat! "...Mandrake, have you ever seen a commie drink water..."
AFI Film Challenge, hey I've only got 1 to go!

Kenneth English

Second Unit
I agree. The TOTAL RECALL tin isn't the worst thing I've ever seen but the BASIC INSTINCT package does indeed "bite." And that pen...
rolleyes.gif
Who thought this was a cool idea? This is the best Artisan could come up with? Ugh...

HenrikTull

Second Unit
I don't mind the packaging for Total Recall at all, but the packaging for Basic Instinct sucks hard, really hard.
furious.gif

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
The Total recall case is crap. The tin isn't so bad, but the cheap cardboard thing-Have a feeling that it's going to fall apart pretty fast...

Jeff Cooper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Cooper
Oh yeah! The Basic Instinct packaging is the worse packaging I have ever come across. It's pretty much impossible to close the thing without either the DVD or the pen coming out of place. My pen rattles and it makes it so that when you move the case it sounds like there is a broken piece of plastic floating around inside. The "Booklet" would last about 5 seconds in a normal household before coming apart. Plus there is no spine art on the case so it looks like crap when stacked in a shelf.
What the hell were they thinking when they made this case?????
It's worse than the old Polygram DiscKiller cases!
------------------
-Jeff Cooper
"Curse you inspector Dim! You are too clever for us naughty people."

AdrianJ

Supporting Actor
My question is how limited are these anyway? I figured they would be numbered limited editions, but it doesn't seem that way.
Besides, I like the cases. Takes the monatony out of the DVD cabinet.
------------------
photo11.jpg

Adrian Jones

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
Due to the WTC tragedy, I had to delay the shipment of these 2 DVDS until I could find another address to send them.
From what I'm hearing however, I'm not looking forward to seeing the packaging when they arrive. If they are as bad as people say I'll keep the previous DVD releases for these 2 films and store them in those cases.
[Edited last by Jay E on September 19, 2001 at 11:30 AM]

Paul_L

Grip
I agree with AdrianJ, the cases can keep the monotony out, but the little round tin is a bit impractical. THe Basic Instinct case is standard size, just a little odd (especially with no title on the spine). Ice pick pen is odd, but those studios like to come up with something! Anybody remember the limited edition VHS of Fargo with the little plastic snow shaker of Marge next to the overturned car examining the body! That was pretty imaginative. I still have mine.
------------------
Paul
butvv1.gif

Paul E. Fox II

Second Unit
I don't like either of them, but I guess I didn't design them. I guess I'll be getting myself a few new Keep Cases and finding some cool artwork to put in them!
------------------
Regards,
Paul

chris rick

Second Unit
Yeah I too will not purchase dvd's in the future because of the packaging, even if I want them....LOL!

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
I think the Total Recall packaging is worse
than the packaging for Basic Instincton
the following principle: Form must follow function.
In other words, that little round tin is not going
to work in any DVD rack I have EVER seen.
That is f@*ked up, and I was about to buy the DVD
last night, and thought, "How many films I am going
to have to make my own cases for?!?!? F@*K!"

So I didn't buy the DVD of TOTAL RECALL
The Basic Instinct at least fits on
my rack.
Mark
[Edited last by Mark Walker on September 20, 2001 at 11:37 AM]

Roger Mathus

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Roger Mathus
I don't like either of them. The tin for Total Recall is not bad but the outer package should have been plastic. The ice pick pen in Basic is truly in bad taste and the DVD is not secure. It appears to be a case of good intentions poorly thought out and executed. I plan to find cover art and convert both to standard keepcase. Someone has already posted cover art on HTF for Total Recall.

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
I'm generally rather critical of "alternative" packaging designs, but I picked up both of these discs today, as I buy my DVDs for the movie, not for the box. And you know what? I rather like both cases.
The "Total Recall" tin is just cool. Small, compact, and easy to use, and it looks nice. As for filing it away on my shelf, I just keep the tin nested in the cardboard package. It fits neatly along with all my other DVDs.
"Basic Instinct" is equally cool. When the case is closed, the disc is indeed locked in place (by the "hub" on the front cover). I've no problem with it's functionality. As for no title on the spine, it's just a non-issue for me. I store my discs alphabetically. I know what movies I own, and I know where each title falls in the alphabet. If it bothers you that much, just make a sticker that says "Basic Instint" and stick on on the spine of the case.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
I might be in the minority but I liked the Basic Instinct case and ice-pick. Yes, it's odd, and a little macabe, but there is something just cool about it. (I guess I never got over the joy of finding the prize in my box of cracker-jacks :) )
The Total Recall package is a different story. It's just so odd. I am going to wait for the regular packaging to come out for this one.

Mitty

Supporting Actor
Hey, my Candy LE tin is always a conversation piece (I have the birth control version) and it is pretty much the same design as Total Recall.
I have no problem with it at all. Haven't seen Basic Instinct for sale anywhere, so I can't say about that one. There seem to be a lot of discs "missing" this week. No doubt due to shipping slowdowns.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks