Artisan -- we're not mad, just very disappointed about your OAR neglect

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mark Edward Heuck, Dec 13, 2001.

1. Mark Edward Heuck

Mark Edward Heuck Screenwriter

Jul 25, 2000
    Artisan's initial forays into DVD had been terrific, with great packages done for new films like THE BLAIR WITCH PROJECT and THE LIMEY, and nice first-time letterbox transfers on EARTH GIRLS ARE EASY and THE EAGLE HAS LANDED.

But recently, your latest discs have left much to be desired. You just recently issued films like THE SICILIAN and Roland Emmerich's MOON 44, films that were definitely made in scope, in pan/scan editions; to add insult, you say these are presented "in the original aspect ratio they were filmed in." If you want to pan/scan, fine, but don't commit revisionist history. And new films have fared no better: the intelligent GINGER SNAPS is a fullscreen, barebones DVD that pales against a feature-laden, 16x9 enhanced Canadian Region 1 version, and you flat-out recanted on Dario Argento's SLEEPLESS, issuing a fullscreen edition after promising a 1.85 16x9 picture in your prerelease materials.

Please, if "market research" is telling you consumers like fullscreen, at least be kind enough to provide both options for us. Seeing as how you issued GINGER SNAPS featureless, there would have been plenty of room for that option.
  2. Will K

Will K Screenwriter

Feb 6, 2001
    I emailed Artisan about this the other day. It's a big enough sin to issue non-OAR product on DVD at all, but to allow a full-frame butchering of an Argento film, that's a big no-no. They won't be getting my dollars for compromised product. I wish companies would stop doing their market research at K-Mart.
  3. SteveGon

SteveGon Executive Producer

Dec 11, 2000
    Artisan definitely runs the gamut as far as quality of their product is concerned. The Limey is a terrific dvd. Extreme Prejudice, one of my favorite action films, is not. Seems like Artisan only cares about higher-profile titles...