Artisan unveils specs for High Noon 10/22

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by oscar_merkx, Aug 29, 2002.

1. oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx Lead Actor

absolutely great news as I will be the first one to buy this
    http://www.dvdfile.com/software/dvd-...002/08_29.html
    Last but not least, Artisan has finally announced the full details for the long-awaited High Noon special edition, arriving on 10/22. This Gary cooper and Grace Kelly classic includes a newly remastered transfer in its original 1.37:1 aspect ratio, a Dolby 2.0 stereo track, audio commentary, the "Behind High Noon" and "The Making of High Noon" featurettes, a still gallery, and the trailer. Retail is $19.95.
    [​IMG]

2. EricMa

EricMa Extra

Thanks for the update. I was wondering when we would get some info on this one. There is nothing that makes me happier than a newly remastered transfer.
    Such a great movie. I guess I will be the second one to buy this.[​IMG]

3. Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR Producer

And me the 3rd one!

4. SteveGon

SteveGon Executive Producer

Sound great! I never got around to picking up the old version. Now I'm glad. [​IMG]

5. Rain

Rain Producer

Sounds great.
    Has anyone heard anything about the specs for their upcoming SE of The Quiet Man?

6. Eric Peterson

Eric Peterson Cinematographer

Excellent News! Any idea who is doing the commentary track?

I hope that this is setting the precedent for the Quiet Man. It badly needs a new transfer and I would kill for a commentary track by a noted historian or maybe even Maureen O'Hara.

7. Tim RH

Tim RH Second Unit

Apparently, the commentary is by Maria Cooper Janis, Jonathan Foreman, Tim Zinnemann, John Ritter and David Crosby!
    That should be interesting, to say the least... [​IMG]

8. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden Producer
    Reviewer

Kenneth McAlinden
    I would be curious to find out from what type of elements they are creating the stereo track. I would settle for a mono track without the heavy noise reduction of the current issue.

Regards,

9. oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx Lead Actor

Rain
    This is taken directly from http://www.lasersedge.com/title/31682 with regards to the extras and boy are they hot or what ?
    Standard (1.33:1) Transfer
    English Mono
    Audio Commentary with Maureen O'Hara
    The Joy Of Ireland" documentary with Maureen O'Hara
    The Quiet Man montage
    "The Making of The Quiet Man" hosted by Leonard Maltin
    Theatrical Trailer
    Region 1
    Price is $ 14,94
    hope this helps

10. Rain

Rain Producer

Thanks, Oscar.

Unfortunately the link you provided does not tell us whether this will be a new transfer or just a rehash of the old one.

11. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    We'll find out soon enough, since October will be here before we know it.

Crawdaddy

12. oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx Lead Actor

Rain
    Send them an e-mail with the very information, hopefully they will reply soon !!!
    [​IMG]

13. oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx Lead Actor

Bill Hunt of the Bits has come through with the specs
    And Artisan's hard at work on a High Noon: 50th Anniversary DVD (street date 10/22), which will include the film in a remastered transfer (aspect ratio 1.37:1), Dolby Digital 2.0 audio, audio commentary with Tim Zinnemann (the son of director Fred Zinnemann), Johnathan Foreman (the son of co-writer Carl Foreman) and Maria Cooper-Janis (the daughter of Gary Cooper) among others. Look also for a new documentary, a featurette the trailer and more.
    this is great news and look forward to see this for the first time.
    [​IMG]

14. Roderick Gauci

Roderick Gauci Stunt Coordinator

The specs for HIGH NOON and THE QUIET MAN (both 1952) appear to be quite nice. It’s interesting how many films that will be celebrating their 50th Anniversary this year are slated for release – remember, of course, Warner’s upcoming 2-Disc SE of SINGIN’ IN THE RAIN. I have all three films on original PAL VHS, so I hope my upgrading them to DVD (especially considering that they had been available before in this format, too) will be worth it!
    Last year I bought Fred Zinnemann’s FROM HERE TO ETERNITY (1953) from Columbia which included an Audio Commentary by the same Tim Zinnemann (son of Fred) who will be doing HIGH NOON as well. Unfortunately, this resulted in a pretty lackluster affair, which isn’t too surprising considering that he (and his Commentary collaborator, bit-part actor Alvin Sargent) is giving second-hand knowledge of what went on during the making of the film. I hope that Mr. Foreman and Mrs. Cooper-Janis’ contribution to the HIGH NOON track will result in a more solid listen.
    This kind of reminds me of other Columbia Commentaries which have disappointed me, more for their sparsity of comments than for any genuine lack of information: virtually all of Frank Capra Jr.’s tracks for his father’s films (including one on Image Entertainment’s disc of LADY FOR A DAY [1933]) and Todd McCarthy’s for HIS GIRL FRIDAY (1940). As with the above films, I already owned most of these on original tapes and I took the promise of Audio Commentaries bursting with insight and informantion as the main reason for buying them all over again on (admittedly superior and more enduring) DVDs. Sadly, this was not to be the case! On the other hand, Columbia’s disc of Capra’s much-maligned LOST HORIZON (1937) is exquisite – and, strangely enough, Capra Jr. is nowhere to be seen or heard on this release! – especially as it goes into some detail into the film’s headache-inducing restoration, as well as providing the basics of what constituted Capra’s original 5 hour “rough cut” which, needless to say, didn’t go down too well with 1937 audiences! Also, I would like to put a word in for Sanctuary Digital Entertainment’s (a British-based company) Region 0 DVD of Capra’s MEET JOHN DOE (1941), as part of their “Laureate Collection”, with the following supplements:
    ·Audio Commentary by Film Historian Ken Barnes (Includes Archive Comments by Frank Capra)
    ·Digital Restoration of Meet John Doe (Before and After Comparison)
    ·3 Featurettes - Meet Mr. Capra, Meet Mr. Cooper, Meet Miss Stanwyck
    ·Vintage Radio Material with Gary Cooper and Barbara Stanwyck
    ·Extensive Cast and Crew Profiles
    ·Production Background
    The Commentary is chockfull of interesting tidbits, the three featurettes are short but nice, and the radio material is actually complete broadcasts of “FOR WHOM THE BELL TOLLS” (with Cooper and Ingrid Bergman) and “SORRY WRONG NUMBER” (with Stanwyck and Burt Lancaster). For those of you interested in more of their products, here’s the link:
    http://www.laureatedvd.com
    I have had my eyes on their SE of SUDDENLY (1954) since its release, but I’ve been waiting for them to put out another Frank Sinatra classic, Otto Preminger’s THE MAN WITH THE GOLDEN ARM (1955; release date to be announced soon), so that I’d buy them together. Their edition of CHARADE (1964) also promised to be interesting, but when I read that Criterion’s DVD would be going out-of-print, I opted for that (also because director Stanley Donen and writer Peter Stone were involved) despite the considerable difference in price! I haven’t got around to watching it yet, so I hope I didn’t make a mistake about this!
    By the way, to go back to Capra: I was under the impression that Artisan were preparing an SE of his masterpiece, IT’S A WONDERFUL LIFE (1946). I had read it was to be out in September, but I guess they thought fit to release it in the Yuletide season (it makes commercial sense, after all)!

15. oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx Lead Actor

Roderick
    Thanks for the link to laureatedvd.com
    cheers
    [​IMG]