ARTISAN PRESS RELEASE: Twin Peaks: The First Season

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ronald Epstein, Nov 16, 2001.

1. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    By Popular Demand Artisan Home Entertainment
    Presents the Cult Phenomenon
    Twin Peaks: The First Season
    Special Edition DVD
    Digitally Remastered with DTS Surround Sound
    This Special Edition 4 Disc DVD Set of the First Season
    (Episodes 1 - 7) from Executive Producer Mark Frost and Three- Time Academy Award Nominee David Lynch is Packed With Special Features Including New In -Depth Interviews with the Cast and Crew, Including Directors, Writers and Film and Television Experts
    Pre-Book November 6, 2001; Street Date December 18, 2001
    SANTA MONICA, CA (November 15, 2001) - Artisan Home Entertainment is proud to present the legendary, cult television series, Twin Peaks: The First Season, for the first time ever on Special Edition DVD. This wildly imaginative and darkly comic television series is the first to be digitally remastered with DTS Digital Surround Sound for DVD. The maverick film noire producer/director, David Lynch, created a huge cult following with the classic and surreal television series, Twin Peaks, starring Kyle MacLachlan, Michael Ontkean, Joan Chen, Piper Laurie, Laura Flynn Boyle and Sherilyn Fenn. This special edition DVD will be released on 4 discs with the first 7 Twin Peaks episodes in a collectible "reveal" packaging for only $59.98 on December 18, 2001 (366 minutes).
    The special edition Twin Peaks DVD is packed with special features including all of the following; newly remastered high-definition transfers of the original television program, full screen version, DTS Digital Surround Sound, 5.1 Dolby Digital Surround, 2.0 Dolby Digital Surround, interactive menus, scene access, digitally mastered, select episode analysis by the directors, new in-depth interviews with the cast and crew including: series co-creator, Mark Frost, writers, directors, film and television experts, optional Log Lady introductions to each episode, script notes: optional guide to the "unseen Twin Peaks" rare archival material from Wrapped in Plastic; the official Twin Peaks magazine.
    SYNOPSIS
    After the brutal killing of Twin Peaks Homecoming Queen Laura Palmer, Agent Cooper (Kyle Maclachlan) discovers the small town is seething with deadly secrets and killer cherry pie. Then, Cooper interprets an unusual dream about the murder, has tea with the Log Lady, finds a macabre crime scene in the woods and is determined to solve the mystery.

2. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

As DVDFile is reporting this morning, everyone should notice the delay that's subtly inserted into this press release.
    This was previously reported as a 12/4 street date, but the press release shows 12/18 now.
    That's no problem, as I was gonna pick it up after Christmas anyway. No rush, as the pilot isn't out yet. I hope that the message was received and that it's in-the-works. If not, then I'll eventually take a chance and get the R0 version everyone talks about...though I'm loathe to mess around with that.
    Personally, as an X-Files fan, I can't wait for Season 2 to show up, for no other reason than to show my wife (who's a bigger XF fan and has never seen TP) David Duchovney as DEA Agent Dennis/Denise. Stephanie thinks he's hot, but wait until she checks him out in drag! [​IMG]
    ------------------
    DAVE/Memphis
    [​IMG]
    MORE TV ON DVD, PLEASE!
    Do you like TV on DVD? Then check THIS out!
    .....http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/.....

3. Gregory Pauswinski

Gregory Pauswinski Supporting Actor

After reading the press release, I'm even more excited than I was before! I'm a big Twin Peaks fan and it sounds like Artisan really did a great job on this set.
    Gregory

4. Bill McA

Bill McA Producer

5. HenrikTull

HenrikTull Second Unit

6. Sean Patrick

Sean Patrick Supporting Actor

i assume this still will not include the "pilot", due to rights issues, correct?

7. John Sullmeyer

John Sullmeyer Second Unit

Correct. No pilot because Warner Bros. refused to license it to them. They will most likely put out their own pilot DVD next year. You can get the pilot in Region 0 on Ebay for about 20 bucks.
    -J

8. Marc_Sulinski

Marc_Sulinski Supporting Actor

You can order the DVD online from www.hivizone.com for $9.00. Click on the "Special DVD Titles" link at the top.

9. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

Thanks for the link, Mark - I just made my order!
    I'd intended to order the pilot through the DVD TALK special at HKDVD, but got there a day too late... they were out of stock and (according to that site) the disc is OOP!
    But $9 + $5 for standard air-shipping is as good a deal as the DVD TALK one (maybe even a buck cheaper).
    Anyway, I'm thrilled to hear more details about the upcoming Season 1 release (thanks for the news, Ron!), though a tad disappointed about the delay. Still, I'm very happy to have the American version of the pilot on a decent-enough DVD (PAL speedup and some artifacting aside) just in case Warner never releases the pilot themselves (or just releases the European version).
    Regarding the European version, I actually wouldn't mind having this one, too - I can just take the revised ending as some sorta weird Mulholland Drive/Lost Highway kinda misdirection! [​IMG]

10. Greg_Y

Greg_Y Screenwriter

Plus the subtitles on the import version of the pilot are a worth a laugh or two (unintentionally.)

11. Patrick Larkin

Patrick Larkin Screenwriter

And before I thought the wait until Dec 4 was going to kill me! 2 more weeks. Oh well.
    Wonder what "collectible "reveal" packaging" means?
    DTS is a nice plus.
    Strange that its coming out on 4 discs. 6 hours of episodes on 4 discs? Sounds like a marketing ploy to me -- either that or the DTS track takes up a lot of space.

12. Roby Adams

Roby Adams Stunt Coordinator

quote: Wonder what "collectible "reveal" packaging" means? [/quote]
    [​IMG]
    Basically there is a transparent outer sleve with the "Prom Queen" Laura Palmer photo on the outside and you slide it off to reveal the police photo of her corpse.
    Kind of like the one on the Toy Story Box Set.
    ------------------
    200 and 40 dollars worth'a puddin'
    My DVDs
    --'What', then 'ever', immediately followed by 'dude'.--
    [Edited last by Roby Adams on November 16, 2001 at 11:09 PM]

13. Patrick Larkin

Patrick Larkin Screenwriter

Thats what I figured - just like the Brazil Criterion case. If the packaging comes even close to Brazil, I'll be extremely happy.
    Never saw a large image of the cover before now. Thanks!

14. Richard_Huntington

Richard_Huntington Stunt Coordinator

15. Craig S

Craig S Producer
    Supporter

Craig Seanor
    quote: Anyone else worried about so many soundtracks? The bit rate for the picture is going to take a serious hit and that means these DVD's may not look as good as they should and could.[/quote]
    I imagine this is the reason they went to a 4-disc set, which means 2 eps per disc (1 ep on the final disc). If they had tried to squeeze all this on with 4 eps/disc it would have been a disaster. With only 2 (about 90-100 minutes of material) I think they can still deliver a good picture.
    That said, I have to agree that adding a DTS track was not really necessary for this material.
    ------------------
    Too many DVDs, too little time...
    AFI 100 Challenge - 36 to go!
    [Edited last by Craig S on November 17, 2001 at 10:04 AM]

16. BrianB

BrianB Producer

That packaging looks really really good! I preordered the box ages ago from CDNow for a lot cheaper than $60RRP, I hope they honour the price!
    Roll on the release date!
    ------------------
    Nothing In Particular

17. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

Well, I have to sorta agree that the DTS track is unnecessary - after all, I don't have a DTS decoder! [​IMG]
    But, honestly, TWIN PEAKS boasts one of the first really fine soundtracks for a television program and is certainly deserving of the best audio treatment possible. Of course, in my opinion, the "best audio treatment" would likely have been a LPCM stereo surround track. But I bet the DD and DTS will be awfully sweet.

18. Richard_Huntington

Richard_Huntington Stunt Coordinator

2 discs per single side, single layer dvd? If that's the case, why not double sided? Or are they using RSDL (doubt they would do something as cool as that).
    ------------------
    "My wife actually prefers widescreen"

19. Sean Patrick

Sean Patrick Supporting Actor

Actually I had already ordered the pilot, and received it in the mail today!
    initial impressions - better looking than i was expecting, although there are still some annoying ntsc-artifacting, so apprently this is off of a beta or d2 master (speculation). I actually find the 5.1 much more pleasing than many of the reviewers have.
    I got it for under $20 off ebay from tokyo, so overall, it was well worth it!!!!!

20. Jim Douglas

Jim Douglas Second Unit

Will the pilot disc play on any player?
    Thanks
    Jim
    ------------------