Artisan messes up KNIGHT MOVES - a horrible looking DVD

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Matt_Stevens, Oct 6, 2001.

1. Matt_Stevens

Matt_Stevens Supporting Actor

Why I thought this was 16x9 I do not know. But it was $9, so the loss isn't too bad. But my God! They clearly took an old laserdisc transfer for this DVD. The image is soft, grainy, murky, with poor shadow detail. Detail is wanting and the image just looks like ass. Utterly disgraceful.
    Making matters worse, this is the cut version. I saw the uncut laserdisc years ago, I believe from Japan, and it answers questions that go unanswered in this version (like the letter).
    Sound is stereo surround, but more like mono. No extras.
    A shame Artisan is so uneven in their releases. Sometimes they get it right and sometimes they don't even come close. Too bad they screw up the DVD's of films that are halfway decent. KNIGHT MOVES is an entertaining little thriller and certainly one of the only good films Lambert has made in the last 10 years ("Resurrection" being the other. "The Hunted" was a fun B movie).
    ------------------
    www.deceptions.net/superman

2. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

3. Mathias Klemme

Mathias Klemme Stunt Coordinator

You say the film is cut and that the uncut version is on Japanese LD. Can you elaborate? Do you have a running time for the uncut version? I only know the german version and would like to know if the one I know is cut or uncut.
    Thanks!
    Mathias

4. Matt_Stevens

Matt_Stevens Supporting Actor

It's been too long for me to remember. I saw it back in 1995 I think. It's at least 6 minutes, but I am thinking it's actually 12 minutes. I just cannot remember. [​IMG]
    I DO remember that the film was better with the footage and made it easier to understand certain actions by the characters. Since Artisan owns the film, I guess it shouldn't come as a surprise that we are getting a bare bones edition.
    ------------------
    www.deceptions.net/superman

5. Todd Hostettler

Todd Hostettler Second Unit

I just hope they got the "aspect Ratio" right on Diane Lane. [​IMG]

6. Iain Lambert

Iain Lambert Screenwriter

Sorry David, you're obviously confused on that one. I was the star of Knight Moves, I think you'll find...
    [​IMG]

7. Mark Cappelletty

Mark Cappelletty Cinematographer

Matt,
    I hate to burst your bubble, but were you really expecting anything good to come out of Artisan? Their catalog titles are really atrocious across-the-board (save for, perhaps, Angel Heart and Jacob's Ladder). At least they letterboxed this, which is more than can be said for Extreme Prejudice.

8. Martin Jeeves

Martin Jeeves Supporting Actor

Hi Guys,

I have heard that Columbia Tri-Star are releasing a Region 2 version of "KNIGHT MOVES" starring Christopher Lambert and Diane Lane.

The film is 111 minutes (the Region 1 version is 104 minutes). The disc is also scheduled to include a trailer, a featurette, photo galleries, animated menus, and biographies for Lambert, Diane Lane, Tom Skerritt, Adam Baldwin and director Carl Schenkel. The aspect ratio is anamorphic enhanced 2.35:1 widescreen (ehanced for widescreen TV's).

There is also rumours of a 118 minute cut. But I've never seen it.

The current Artisan release is dire and the film makes no sense at all in that version. How to ruin a film by snipping 6 minutes? Ask Artisan.

9. Ben Motley

Ben Motley Supporting Actor

Artisan?? -snort... snicker-
    There wouldn't be enough room on the server if we tried to list all of the Artisan screw ups. [​IMG]