Artisan, let me get this straight...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Will K, Mar 5, 2002.

1. Will K

Will K Screenwriter

I was recently perusing the aisles of my local Media Play when I came upon the DVD for The Mangler 2. Just out of curiousity, I examined the cover. Can someone explain how this direct-to-video sequel to a movie that not many people cared about to begin with gets the 16x9 treatment and a respectable line-up of extras, but the Dario Argento film Sleepless gets the pan-and-scan shaft? This makes no sense. What gives?
    In the case Artisan wonders why they lost money on this title, this is the answer. I will be persuing a widescreen version from another region.

2. Ben Motley

Ben Motley Supporting Actor

Yep. I'm with ya there Will. Saw it at Best Buy the other day, along with Ginger Snaps, and just felt... sick, violated. Needless to say, I picked up neither one.

And Artisan, while y'all are fixing those two discs, how 'bout getting us a new release of Killing Zoe to go along with 'em, with the director's cut and his already recorded, as yet unused commentary?

3. Donald W

Donald W Stunt Coordinator

I feel sick also...I can't belive that their doing this at all...I'd love to have a Ginger Snaps SE *I know that there is one out on R2 I think???* And Killing Zoe is a pretty cool film that I'd love to see the director's cut

4. Ben Motley

Donald, you can get the R1 Canadian Ginger Snaps from Canadian e-tailers.
    [​IMG]
    It is loaded with extras, and is 1.85:1 anamorphic widescreen, and has 5.1 Dolby Digital audio (Artisan's disc is 2.0, if I remember correctly).
    Click here for a review, and see just how good it can be.

5. John Berggren

John Berggren Producer

Don't complain that a lesser film gets the right treatment. Every film deserves to be presented in OAR.

6. Will K

Will K Screenwriter

7. Ben Motley

8. Donald W

Donald W Stunt Coordinator

I'm getting the Canadian Ginner Snaps also...if you havn't seen this film see it...what makes me mad is that Artisan has a film here thats TEN times better than The Mangler 1 or 2 ever was and they just pass it off...Snaps even came out to theaters and The Mangler 2 never even saw it's way to the screen...

9. Ben Motley

John, sorry about that. Now I see you were referring to the Mangler 2 reference in Will's post. I wans't aware Mangler 2 was an Artisan title, and I was quite shocked when I looked it up and found it to be one. Now I can only agree with Will's post all the more. Why in hell does Artisan feel that Mangler 2 deserves an anamorphic transfer, and with extras, where the three aforementioned films do not. I'm not saying Mangler 2 doesn't deserve the treatment, just that the other three films deserve better than they got.