What's new

Artisan, how about an SE of The Crying Game? (1 Viewer)

Todd H

Go Dawgs!
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd
The current release has an absolutely terrible transfer. A new anamorphic transfer would be most welcome. And hey, feel free to make it a full-blown SE!!!

John Kilduff

Screenwriter
Maybe my eyes were playing tricks on me, but I read that "The Crying Game" might be an MGM title now. I don't know how to confirm this, though.

Sincerely,

John "Everyone knows the secret...even elementary-school kids" Kilduff

Mark Edward Heuck

Screenwriter
THE CRYING GAME is actually a Miramax title, licensed to Artisan under a previous deal with the former Live Entertainment. As stated before, the deals that Miramax made for their pre-Disney titles are beginning to lapse, so I would not anticipate Artisan allocating big money to redo a title they will soon lose. They aren't like, say, Criterion.

As for MGM, they may retain some European rights to the movie as it was a Palace/Polygram production that Miramax bought an equity stake in, but they do not own it in America. MGM does, I believe, now own titles produced by the former Gladden Entertainment that Artisan has released. This would likely explain the shoddy fullscreen transfer Artisan did of Michael Cimino's THE SICILLIAN; they want to cash in one last time before they lose it to MGM, who will surely at least letterbox it on their own DVD release.

Todd H

Go Dawgs!
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd
Judging by the response to this thread, I have a feeling that no matter who owns the rights, there may not be a big enough demand for a rerelease and new transfer. Oh well, I'm still hoping...

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
The present DVD of The Crying Game is one of the worst looking discs I've ever seen. I returned my copy as it was unwatchable. This really deserves a new DVD release, I'd be happy just for a new transfer, let alone an SE.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks