What's new

Artificial Intelligence - delay delay delay, are we gonna have to wait til March 5th? (1 Viewer)

Johnny G

Supporting Actor
With at least 2 sites now giving this date & no announcement in line with the earlier rumored Jan 29th, it looks like this film is having 8 whole months plus 2 part months from cinema to DVD.
WHY SO LONG?

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
This year was going to be pushing it, with Dreamworks wanting to seriously promote the Shrek DVD against the mass of competition like Phantom Menace, Snow White and so on.
Throwing A.I into the mix of fall/winter releases now, and remember it's a relatively unpopular movie, would probably do little more then help it go unnoticed over the holiday season.
It's all timing, they'll save it and promote it at the right time. March sounds pretty good! Be happy Dreamworks are doing the R1 disc to be honest... Those who want it will get their DTS track, and we'll probably get a nice 2 disc treatment. Sure if it turns up relatviely bare bones there may be grounds for dissapointment, but I think there is call from the fans and indeed from within Dreamworks to make the release something special.
I could do with a wait, there's still so much out between now and Jan with some great announcements sure to follow to tie us over until March.
Dan (UK)

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Throwing A.I into the mix of fall/winter releases now, and remember it's a relatively unpopular movie, would probably do little more then help it go unnoticed over the holiday season.
Considering how many Americans hated the movie, it's release will probably go unnoticed whenever it's released. Rather than try to attract them to a movie too smart for them, just release it for those who will buy it regardless.
------------------
My DVD Collection
My Preorders
My Wishlist

Matthew Chmiel

Senior HTF Member
Jesus, have some patience. Let DreamWorks take their time on it. So who cares if there is an eight month theaters-to-video window on it? Let's just hope DreamWorks is taking their time on the DVD making it great instead of rushing it out as a movie-only edition.
Considering how many Americans hated the movie, it's release will probably go unnoticed whenever it's released.
I don't think so. If they make it a special edition with a cheap price, people WILL buy it. Just look at how many people bought the shitfest known as Battlefield: EARTH just cause it had lots of extras for a low price.
------------------
mynewsig.jpg

Link Removed / AIM: MrMatthew / ICQ: 96444542
"I'm a firm believer in the philosophy of a ruling class. Especially since I rule."

Anthony Thorne

Supporting Actor
C'mon, is March really that far away? I don't think so. Folks are generally spoiled by the short theater-to-video window these days. I don't think an extra month or so will kill anyone.
Maybe they're adding additional supplements, it being a Dreamworks disc and therefore likely to feature lots of added content. Another theory - thousands and thousands of new DVD players are being sold each week. Pushing the disc back from end-of-year to March will help boost sales just that little bit extra (and yeah, I'm aware that they could have capitalized on the publicity from the theatrical run if they released it earlier).
Still haven't seen A.I, but I'll probably rent it when it hits disc, and buy it if makes a big impression.

BarryR

Supporting Actor
Real Name
BARRY RIVADUE
To me, this is a great film. It's incredible how much battering it's gotten. I'd like to think that in 2030 it'll be one of a few films from 2001 still being looked at.

Neil N

Stunt Coordinator
While I'd like this movie on DVD now, I think Dan's right about the crowded plate this winter. Heck, I've barely found time to watch any of the Muppets yet, much less some of the more recent releases. At the rate I'm going, I wouldn't get to it until March anyway. :)

Jeff Rogers

Second Unit
You guys are forgeting that they want to maximize Oscar and other award potential.
You wait...get a few golden globe nods, some other major nods and awards and then release it around Oscar time to keep the awareness out.
------------------
If I could go back in time, I'd meet Snoopy

DanR

Supporting Actor
Also, let's not forget that Laurent Bouzereau is doing the DVD. I'm sure he is a busy man (he probably was finishing off Jurassic Park III ove the last few months) so maybe that has something to do with it too?!?
Regards,
Dan

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
Also, let's not forget that Laurent Bouzereau is doing the DVD. I'm sure he is a busy man (he probably was finishing off Jurassic Park III ove the last few months) so maybe that has something to do with it too?!?
Maybe. Except that A.I. was released first theatrically.
Jeff

Luis Cruz

Stunt Coordinator
I've been really wanting to get this film on DVD...I can't believe they are gonna push the release date again...First it was rumored for December, then Jan...now March. That sucks! I really loved the film and would have loved getting this under my tree on Christmas...since it was the best film that came out this year. Oh well, I'll have to let Jurassic Park 3, The Mummy Returns, Episode 1, FF: TSW, God father Trilogy, Shrek, Swordfish, etc. keep me company. I'm just happy Dreamworks will be taking care of the DVD. DTS!!! Hopefully with this hold up, they will actually put a commentary with Speilberg. Here's hoping!

Peter Overduin

Supporting Actor
Dreamworks is the only studio whose DVDs I buy sight unseen, as I have yet to see a sub-standard product from there. If quality is the issue, I am content to wait. I would not be surprised to see financial considerations involved as well. Shrek, as both a movie and DVD, not to mention other offerings from them this year, will likely inflate their bottom line somewhat. AI is the first, (I stand corrected, of course) movie they have released that did not meet expectations. It may be that moving the DVD to late in the 1stQ 2002 has more to do with a fiscal balancing act than anything. Once again, I will buy it sight unseen.

Julian Lalor

Supporting Actor
"You guys are forgeting that they want to maximize Oscar and other award potential."
This film has about as much chance of getting Oscar nods in the major categories as "Freddy Got Fingered" and I suspect DreamWorks (and Spielberg) know it. I suspect other reasons are behind any delay (given that the DVD hasn't been formally announced yet, I don't think you could even call it a "delay").

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I don't think so. If they make it a special edition with a cheap price, people WILL buy it. Just look at how many people bought the shitfest known as Battlefield: EARTH just cause it had lots of extras for a low price.
Battlefield: Earth may be a shitfest, but it's a easily, digested, not worried about story shitfest. I wasn't talking about the quality of the movie itself, I was talking about it's popularity. Regardless of what you put on this bitch, it will never sell to the mainstream crowd. (It requires people to /think/) Most everyone at the HTF will buy it, but outside the DVD fanbase (if you will), they'll be piled up on shelves. And besides, IIRC, Battlefield: Earth didn't even take the top spot in it's first week of release.
------------------
My DVD Collection
My Preorders
My Wishlist
Potter is coming...

DanR

Supporting Actor
Jeff A,
Good point. Though, many DVDs are started before their theatrical release date, of which JPIII was one. I don't really think a few weeks difference in theatrical release determines is a big factor.
Regards,
Dan

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
Though, many DVDs are started before their theatrical release date, of which JPIII was one. I don't really think a few weeks difference in theatrical release determines is a big factor.
I agree. I guess I'm biased because I have zero interest in JP3 but I'm very anxious to own AI. I'm sure it will be worth the wait though.
Jeff

DanR

Supporting Actor
Wow, those last two sentences in my last post are real doozies. My excuse is that I wrote them before my morning coffee. :)
Regards,
Dan

Stu Rosen

Second Unit
I haven't yet seen the film, so I can't speak to it, but my recollection is that serious, thoughtful critics were divided on its merits. It hardly seems fair to relegate those who weren't wild about it into a category of not being smart enough. Seems like a lot of smart people disagreed, as smart people will often do.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks