What's new

Artificial Flavors and Scents - Fascinating!! (1 Viewer)

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
I've always been amazed at how they can artificially create a flavor. Whether it be in the form of candy, soda, or other food item, I've always wondered how they figure out this stuff.

The other thing that intrigues me is all these new Candle scents. Some are pretty nasty, but some actually smell EXACTLY like the real thing. I have a Christmas Cookie candle and when I light it, it smells like I'm baking a cake
htf_images_smilies_yum.gif
I also have a citrus candle that smells like red grapefruit.

I once knew a kid who's dad used to invent flavors. He said his father helped invent some new blueberry flavor.

How do they do it? Anyone else fascinated at how they just combine chemicals together and create these flavors and scents?

dave_brogli

Screenwriter
yeah..... i do. Although Ive never taken the time to think about it.....
How do they make the flavor for those Puke Flavored Harry Potter Jelly Beans, also??

Leila Dougan

Screenwriter
Esters give off some interesting scents. In college O Chem my friends and I would have contests to see who could come up with the best smelling ester. I gather these companies employ lots of organic chemists who experiment creating esters then mix them together to come up with just the right scent. Of course, they probably take their queue from the real thing, or perhaps even incorporate the naturally occuring esters into their products.

Mark Frank

Stunt Coordinator
Read Fast Food Nation by Eric Larson. Not only is it an INCREDIBLE read, but there is an in-depth chapter on artificial flavors and smell. Pretty much any flavor or smell can be made entirely through chemicals that have nothing to do with the actual product. Pretty amazing (and scary) at the same time.

P.S. After reading this book, you'll never look at fast food the same way again.

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
The book Fast Food Nation briefly covers how they manufacture new flavours. I suggest you pick up the book...it is a great history of the fast food industry!

In short, flavors are composed of gas molecules. When they manufacture a flavor, they will extract these molecules from the source and bottle it up.

EdHoch

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ed Hochstatter
Fast Food Nation scared the heck out of me. I have not eaten at McDonalds or Burger King since... (can't stay away from In-N-Out Burgers, but they got a good review in this book for their quality).

The trick will be trying to keep my 3 year old away from Happy Meals...there's a sad story in this book that will chill any parent to the bone...

Users who are viewing this thread