What's new

Articles on DVD and the Negative Impact on Cinema? (1 Viewer)

Travis W.

Second Unit
I'm trying to write a paper on how I believe DVD is only helping cinemas but I need to cite some articles that think DVD is hurting cinemas. Does anyone know of any online?

JackKay

Second Unit
There is nothing like being in a theater and watching a movie with strangers. Home theater can imitate or even do better than many movie houses as far as sound,and the pictures are getting better, but there is something that draws us to those dark auditoriums. Like this up coming Star Wars 3. I will want to see it the first weekend and it will be more enjoyable and fun with that big crowd of people I don't know there and enjoying it with me.

But then, exciting movies that we anticipate and really want to see, ASAP, our only option is the theater. As you may already know North American box office last year was something over 9 Billion, Home Theater (sales and rentals) was like 12+ Billion last year and growing. Also the window between theatrical and home video is shrinking, generally between 3 & 4 months currently. And here is something interesting:http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr..._id=1000902922

Sunday I went and saw Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy. The 11:50 am show cost me $6.75, and the medium popcorn and Large pop cost me $10.25. Now if I waited 3 and a half or 4 months I might be able to buy the movie for $14 or $15.99 on sale the first week of release, plus have all the extras. Yeah, I know thats how theater chains make a profit, and I know I didn't have to buy anything else or I could have brought something in, but I don't think they would have let me use their microwave for my popcorn.

Here is an interesting article in May 3 Hollywood Reporter:http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr..._id=1000904385

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
Entertainment Weekly has a poll online about this very subject. The results (and an article, I would assume) will be published in the magazine. I will watch for it and let you know.

Dan Szwarc

Stunt Coordinator
Do you mean Cinemas (the places that show movies) or Cinemas (the companies that make the movies)?

I can see people waiting for DVD instead of going to the movies, but in my opinion it cannot REPLACE the movie experience. If anything, Cinema is hurting itself by rising ticket prices and outrageous condiments, but I am in no way an official source.

Travis W.

Second Unit
I mean Cinemas as theaters. Thanks for the help guys, I've got enough resources to write now.

Travis W.

Second Unit
Ok, does anyone know any editorials that have been published online about this topic?

Simon Howson

Screenwriter
I've found some stats that probably won't help your argument, they rather help the case you are arguing against.

In 2003 theatrical revenues comprised 17.9% of total studio revenue. That represents a historical low, even though total revenues were at a historical high - possibly only surpassed by 2004.

See this table here:
http://www.edwardjayepstein.com/Demyst3.htm

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks