Article-TV shows on DVD -- too much of a good thing?

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Dorrie_W, Jun 2, 2005.

1. Dorrie_W

Dorrie_W Stunt Coordinator

You have to imagine my glee when I read this article and saw our own Gord Lacey and TV ShowsonDVD.com mentioned. I found it in the Yahoonews section, it was written by By Thomas K. Arnold of the Hollywood Reporter.

TV shows on DVD -- too much of a good thing?

TV Shows on DVD--too much of a good thing

2. Bob Hug

Bob Hug Screenwriter

Good article . . . thanks for posting the link.

Despite the ever increasing number of TV-on-DVD releases, there are hundreds if not thousands of shows for which there has been no DVD release to date. Consequently, I don't think that TV-on-DVD is anywhere near maturity and won't be for some time to come . . . just look at the incredibly varied "want lists" of shows that have been posted in these forums that have yet to see a DVD release. A number of people here have bemoaned the comparative lack of DVD releases of shows from the 1950s and 1960s, so I believe that shows could be released for many years to come on DVD (at least until the next great change in technology/media that the public embraces like they have with DVD).

I do strongly agree about the relative glut of releases; there are so many that are coming out, that one really has to prioritize what they are going to purchase. For example, next week's releases include two that I'd like to own, "Dragnet 1967" and "Wanted: Dead or Alive." Personal finances only allow for one so it'll be "Dragnet" next week but, hopefully, I'll be able to pick up "Wanted: Dead or Alive" in the not too distant future, assuming that there's not another release that I would prioritize over it. However, mid-August will be another time of prioritization as "The Andy Griffith Show" - Season 3, "Emergency!" - Season 1 and "Adam-12" - Season 1 are all being released within a week of one another (Emergency! and Adam-12 on the same day) and I'd really like to get all three, but the financial reality is that I will not be getting them at the same time.

3. WillLon

WillLon Agent

Wil
    interesting article.

I find myself somewhat *under* whelmed by the glut of TV shows on DVD. I visit my local Best Buy and look at all the shows available and think to myself: "if only they would release more that *does* interest me."

I'm sure everyone has their "holy grail" of TV DVDs they're waiting for. That's me. I'd rather see shows that you can't see on TV anymore. Happy Days, Dukes of Hazard, Flintstones and many others have been syndicated for years. Sell us something we haven't seen, like say "Max Headroom." ;-)

TV on DVD has changed the way many of us collect shows. Previously we'd wait/hope a local UHF channel or cable channel would rerun a show. Now we wait for the DVD release.

4. Jeff Willis

Jeff Willis Producer

You said it, Dorrie [​IMG] Gord and Dave L are a couple of [​IMG] cats [​IMG]

Dave, is that 'net problem fixed? We miss those classic News Release one-liners [​IMG]

As far as the article, interesting. I just wish that the TV/DVD sources (Universal, Sony, WB, etc) could let the information flow a little more frequently sometimes about future releases. Most of us, like me, have a few "fanatic" series that we're wanting big-time. If we get status updates from time to time, it sure makes the waiting easier.

5. Lynda-Marie

Lynda-Marie Supporting Actor

Way to go Gord!

As for the "glut" complaint of some retailers... I thought the point was for them to figure out WHAT the customers want, or what will sell well, and go for it.

There is still room for improvement in the market, IMHO. A setting of dates for when/if the next season will come out, such as an announcement of sales figures SOMEWHERE. Teasing the fans by putting out a season or two of a favorite show (Mary Tyler Moore, Mad About You, to name only two) and then to stop producing is just plain cruel. [​IMG]

It would be nice if the major studios had some sort of input from the fans - in fact, you have tvshowsondvd.com and hometheaterforum.com, pay attention!

Okay, so the last is a shameless plug. It could be worse.

They could be attempting to read the forums on imdb.com [​IMG]

6. Gord Lacey

Gord Lacey Cinematographer

There's an INSANE number of articles being written about TV-DVD right now. I think I've done 4 print interview, 3 radio interviews (done one, two more scheduled) and my first TV appearance [​IMG]

I figure the more people are talking about TV-DVD, the more people will start buying, and maybe we can get some of those other shows out on DVD.

Sure, there are 19 season sets coming out on Tuesday, but there are different categories, and not everyone will want all the sets (God, I hope not).

Gord

7. Jeff Willis

Jeff Willis Producer

Right, I'm only getting 1 set next week (Lois and Clark).

8. Bob Hug

Bob Hug Screenwriter

Gord, what's the DVD release date for your first TV appearance? :b [​IMG]

9. Jason_V

Jason_V Producer

Jason
    That article just made me think of something: I was in BB two weeks ago and didn't see a single Enterprise S1 set on the shelf. There was no tag for it and no space for it with the other shows. I hardly believe it has such popularity in this area that they flew off the shelf at $100 a pop. With the bulky package, is it possible BB only put one or two out, waiting for the "thinner is better" mentality from Paramount?

Maybe there would be more shelf room if we got rid of, say, three versions of every movie (widescreen, pan and scan, multi-disc SE). One would do just fine and you can put the WS and PS on the same disc.

10. Casey Trowbridg

Casey Trowbridg Lead Actor

If it will help, I'd be glad to log in over at TSOD and vote for it.

11. Dorrie_W

Dorrie_W Stunt Coordinator

Gosh I just realized how many sets are coming out next week!

I would like "Too Close For Comfort" season 2 and I know I'm getting "Sanford and Son Season 6." I did get a few of the releases on the list for review, but if I was the average consumer I would really have to pick and choose my favorites and like it was mentioned, they are in different categories.

As for package size. Some sets are HUGE. One I noticed was especially on the chunky size was "The Man Show Season 3" "Queer as Folk" Season 4 is pretty chunky too.

"Fat Actress" is a decent size and I noticed "The Brady Bunch" season 2 was particularly thin for the number of discs it has.

It's funny, I never took into consideration the packaging size and the shelf placement issue. I always thought stores just put out what was popular.

As for Enterprise, it was a little uniquly (typo) shaped but I think the packaging was very pretty.

Speaking of the size of the TV on DVD sets once again, I had to purchase a small bookcase verses your everyday DVD rack to hold my TV on DVD collection. Just a little $29 cheapie from Big Lots furniture but it does the job.

12. Gord Lacey

Someone told me that Best Buy is going to start stocking new/popular stuff only, so maybe this has started happening. I think someone just needs to develop a better way for stores to keep these on the shelves. I've been working on my Gord-o-matic Super-shrinking ray-gun, but I can't get it working yet [​IMG]

Gord

13. Randy*S

Randy*S Second Unit

Randy
    I agree with all of the titles on Jeff's list except I don't want anything from the 90's and 2000's tv has really scraped the bottom the last decade and a half for me.

That's why I used to love nick at nite and tvland, but now they've started all these crap reality shows and original programming.
    Please forgive my bluntness, but I don't care about top ten lists, a "tickled pink" special or getting the dirty details of stars' lives! They could use that time to run a rare show no one has seen in 20, 30 or even 40 years. Even boomerang has begun airing less classic shows.
    I just want to watch classic shows without all the sex, whining characters and loud tv ads of today!
    Not to mention all the "bugs" and split screens and pop ups during shows and end credits,
    And I don't want to see the Bradys interviewed by Jenny Mccarthy!?
    that's one of the reasons why I think people like myself are buying more and more tv dvd's.

14. Dan_V

Dan_V Agent

I love the new trend towards thinner packaging. I look at some sets like Stargate SG-1 and I think that I might want to start collecting them, but then I wonder where I'm going to keep seven seasons worth of monsterous sets. I wish all dvds came in standard keepcases and all sets came in thinpacks. I recently picked up Warners Film Noir Classic Collection and the first two seasons of CSI. The packaging of the CSI sets is phenomenal, six discs in folding plastc trays, the entire package is the same width as two standard dvd keepcases. Both CSI sets (12 discs total) take up less space than the Film Noir set (5 discs). When you have a sizable collection and not enough space, every square inch helps.

15. Dan*T

Dan*T Supporting Actor

I couldn't have said it better myself!![​IMG]

All I want to do is collect all my favorite classics in a simple, easy to store, unedited format with nice packaging!!
    And "THAT" my friends, is what it's all about!![​IMG]

16. Jeff Willis

Jeff Willis Producer

Randy, thanks (my "list" [​IMG] )

Randy, Dan, quotes say it all for me as well. "Waiting for more of the old classics to be released"

17. MishaLauenstein

MishaLauenstein Supporting Actor

Misha Lauenstein
    This brings up an interesting question. Are older titles being 'deleted?"

Because of the substantial discount of ordering pre-release, I have not really paid much attention to the longevity of the sets I've bought. I wonder if the I Spy sets, for example will be out of print in a couple of years because they are at the bottom end of the totem pole for sales. (Just guessing, of course). I'm sure Friends and Seinfeld will be available until DVD is obsolete, but will Sports Night be available 10 years from now? If they only release 2 seasons of Mary Tyler Moore, will they remain in print? I'm not sure how this sort of thing works, but if no stores are carrying them, does it make sense for the studio or distributor or whoever to keep a warehouse full of stuff for that occasional special order?

18. Gord Lacey

MishaLauenstein, I could be wrong, but most titles go out of print when the studio that puts them out loses the rights. I can't think of any TV sets that are out of print when the studio still holds the rights.

Out of print titles I can think of include "My So-Called Life," "Quantum Leap: Pilot Episode" and a few others. I guess some go out of print when they're replaced by something better (I doubt Paramount is still pressing original Star Trek volumes).

Gord
    P.S. I did an interview with the Globe and Mail (Canada) that's in todays paper. There are a few incorrect things, or maybe slightly misinterpreted bits. She made it sound like the studios only started releasing TV titles in 2000, but that was when the first season set came out.

19. Dane Marvin

Dane Marvin Screenwriter

Prioritizing is absolutely the way it has to be done now. I remember when I first started collecting TV on DVD, I had everything I wanted. So then I started going for whatever else was available and for shows I hadn't watched much. I wound up buying things like CSI, Soap and Frasier.

Now... a couple years later? There are so many shows available to purchase that I like far better, I've sold that other stuff on the secondary market and can't even afford to so much as LOOK at season 5 of Frasier or season 2 of Soap on the shelf.

It's now officially difficult for me to keep up with buying my favorite shows on DVD (Seinfeld, Home Movies, The Simpsons, The West Wing, Brady Bunch, etc). But that's a good thing. It's a good thing to not have to stoop to buying "Fat Actress" on DVD for want of a better show to watch. [​IMG]

Oh, and as the TV on DVD market becomes more flooded, prices are dropping and there are always some great sales to be found. That's another good thing...

20. FrancisP

FrancisP Screenwriter

The first thing I can say about that article is I'd like to strangle every idiot that says studios are running out of titles. Most studios have not even caught up to their videocassette releases much less run out of films. Maybe the reason for the slowdown in sales is people are tired of seeing the same movies get multiple releases on DVD. Maybe the reason TV series on dvd is hot because we're not seeing
    Andy Griffith Season 1, Andy Griffith Season 1 SE, Andy Griffith Season 1 Ultimate Edition etc.

There are three reasons that I want shows that are on tv on DVD. First of all, most of the shows are cut. Half hour shows from the 60's run around 25 minutes. Most stations run these around 21 minutes. Second, most of the channels are so cluttered. First they have the channel logo on the whole shows which is annoying. I guess they figure you might not know which channel you're watching. Then they have to tell you what's on next. And then what's on later.
    Third, I love to listen to the closing credits because they are commercial free. First, they cut the sound down for molre advertising, now they run ads with the show cut to postage stamp size.