ARTICLE "The truth about the DivX revolution"

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by David Lambert, Sep 3, 2001.

1. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

Here's an interesting read, from the perspective of a UK site that addresses all sorts of IT issues. It's called "The truth about the DivX revolution", and it's about the downloadable movies thing, not the old Circuit City Divx thing.
    There's a lot of stuff in it that relates to DVD's, and might relate more in the future if the "MovieFly" process comes to pass that Sony is leading other studios into.
    If you're interested, here's the link:
    http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/6/21407.html

2. Drue Elrick

Drue Elrick Stunt Coordinator

Well, I am happy that the studios finally "get it" and hopefully will do digital VOD right for once.
    And about five seconds after they try to load it with digital rights management and other protections, crackers will have it freed up.
    It will be a challenge that the studios have never had to deal with before - cracking of the software forcing constant upgrades of software players and dealing with support because of the guaranteed incompatabilities that the near infinite combinations of hardware and OSes out there will bring, the 'quality' of the play, downloads not working, etcetera. Do they truly understand the nightmare they are facing with experienced computer users, let alone J6Ps?
    There is a reason why J6P buys a $150 DVD player vs. a $300 player and is happy with it. There is a reason why J6P has a 25" television instead of a 65" widescreen RPTV and is happy with it. They are simple and they do the job. Accomplishing the same with "MovieFly" without incorporating some standard hardware is only going to make it that much harder.
    I predict that "MovieFly" will be a piece of hardware, much like a ReplayTV or TiVo and will require a subscription and broadband connection. They cannot do it otherwise, IMO.
    I suppose that within a year, we will see the fruits of their labor.
    ------------------

3. Nigel McN

Nigel McN Supporting Actor

I believe that article exaggerates(deliberately?)both the difficulty and time required. but I will say no more since this is probably not appropriate in this forum.

4. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

The site that posted the original article has posted a follow up, with more (and corrected) info.
    ------------------
    DAVE/Memphis
    Widescreen is Family Fun!
    [​IMG]