Article in the Wall Street Journal mentions desire for DVD rental pricing...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dwayne, Feb 6, 2002.

1. Dwayne

Dwayne Supporting Actor

The bits ( www.thedigitalbits.com/#mytwocents ) mentions the article in the WSJ. Surprisingly, not only is Ball Buster pushing for this, but some studios are as well. I was under the impression that the studios were happy with the current pricing model. Does anyone know which studios does this article apply to?

2. Daniel L

Daniel L Stunt Coordinator

Everyone but Warner Brothers...

Maybe Columbia/Tri-Star.

Daniel L

3. Ed Faver

Ed Faver Second Unit

I think the thing to watch here is to see who has more clout: SchlockBuster or the retail chains? Long-term, I think the studios might see the wisdom of keeping the retailers happy. Unless the rental window is really, really short. Like 2-3 weeks max.

4. Dwayne

Dwayne Supporting Actor

Hopefully, the retailers will put up a better fight than mom and pop buster. If remember correctly, Warner has basically told BB to stuff it.

I still contend that if most of us here are force to rent before considering a purchase, then most titles will stay out of our librarys.

5. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee
    I'm not worried about this at all.

The consumer will balk. I sure won't buy any DVDs if this happens (and I have 600+).

The bigger concern for me is digital VHS. This is really, really stupid. The studies want to go back to an inferior tape format.

Why not just hurry HD-DVD? There's no rewind and compact storage and low costs to manufacture and ship.

I think the major studies are increasingly managed poorly and are too big to be close to what the consumer does...recent moves like this make me want to short entertainment stocks.

Lee

6. Dwayne

Dwayne Supporting Actor