What's new

Article in the online LA Times points to unseen growth and format changes in DVD (1 Viewer)

Lance Nichols

Supporting Actor
Basically, the article talks about how the format was seen originally as a way to push new sales of catalog titles and media, but has grown beyond that and is affecting the way movies are being shot and produced. As an aside the title should read UNFORSEEN.
Some of the article almost seems to be promoting the ripping and re-editing of the film (I will have to go back and check it out again). This is something I am not happy with, heck if we can't keep our paws off our favorite films (forget the legal implications for now) how can we expect the directors to keep from messing with them? *cough* George *cough*
Press play to access the future
posting edited for clarity, content and spelling errors

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I think it's a well written article that examines the changes DVD is bringing about without being alarmist or starry-eyed. It's a good read, especially with the quotes from directors and industry people (although I've read those quotes in other articles so I think this is more cut and paste than quotes specific to this article).

Lance Nichols

Supporting Actor
I think it's a well written article that examines the changes DVD is bringing about without being alarmist or starry-eyed
I agreee, how ever I am still disturbed with the trend they mention where fans have taken a film and re-edited the content/pacing of the film to match what they thought it should be like.

Other things being equal, some of the interactive features on discs can be fun. Like the cut-your-own-scene feature from MIB, or the inclusion of all 3 endings for T2. I really do like the whole idea of a "30 minute film school" idea some discs have. It lets me learn things I missed the opertunity to do when I chose my current carreer. The more people get involved with film(s) the more peopel will realise it is more then just a comercial intrest.

Ironically the potencial broadening of film goers respect for the media and art comes at the time when the Studios are getting increasingly disrespectful and comercial with the art.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I could be wrong, but I only saw the fans reediting worry regarding "Star Wars" as FF Coppola was quoted. I think that's basically The Phantom Edit that he's talking about. The other "viewer can edit" mentions were about the "edit your own film" sequences that DVD makers are putting into their DVDs, so it's not like the people are doing something that they shouldn't be doing.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
The same story, btw, was yesterday's cover feature in the Sunday Los Angeles Times Calendar section.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks