ARTICLE: "DVDs...let directors take fresh stab..."

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by David Lambert, Jun 28, 2002.

1. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

[rant]DVDs and re-releases let directors take fresh stab at older movies [/rant]
    http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...ector_s_cuts_1
    Here's a sample:

2. george kaplan

george kaplan Executive Producer

Either he doesn't understand what the word Luddite means, or he doesn't understand his audience or he doesn't understand public relations. A very stupid statement to make. [​IMG]

3. Jeff Kohn

Jeff Kohn Supporting Actor

Well, I can accept that a director who wants to make changes that he feels make the movie better has that right, especially if it's something that was always intended but just not practical at the time the movie was originally made. The thing that pisses me off is when somebody goes back and changes a movie to satisfy modern-day political correctness, that's just lame and pathetic. That's what I think most people objected to with the Hans/Greedo shootout as well as the changes that Speilberg made to E.T.

4. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

I'll agree that he appears to have misused "Luddite". But the suggestion that a man with Spielberg's track record doesn't understand his audience or PR is, frankly, laughable.

I kind of enjoyed that quote. It was refreshingly honest.

M.

5. Dome Vongvises

Dome Vongvises Lead Actor

What's a Luddite?
    For that matter, what's a nubian? [​IMG]

6. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

7. Anthony_H

Anthony_H Stunt Coordinator

Anthony
    I will make the first of, I'm sure, 50 posts which will phrase the same thought differently. As far as I'm concerned a director can recast the film nude, put his hillbilly cousins in it, apply penisis (peni?) to each actors chin digitally, as long....as long, as he also gives us an unaltered, untouched, unblemished copy of the film as it was originally released. And not at three damn times the price!

8. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

From Dictionary.com:
    Bless you, that's EXACTLY what I've been saying all along!

9. Marc Colella

Marc Colella Cinematographer

It's the directors film, and the director can do to it what he/she wants.

If the director chooses not to release the original, and only the modified version - that's his/her business also.

10. streeter

streeter Screenwriter

Michael
    I don't believe in revisionist filmmaking. Of course it's up to the director, but with a film like Star Wars, Lucas owes his fans a lot. I think it would only be fair to make the original Star Wars trilogy available as well, if only for the purpose of preserving history.

11. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

Aaaah, the "he owes me" argument. Surprised it took this long.

12. Duane Robinson

Duane Robinson Second Unit

Directors owe their fans nothing at all. You choose to pay your money to see the film they choose to make and if they decide to alter it without providing the version you first saw then it's their choice to do so also. All you can do is withhold your money from them since they aren't providing you with a product you want. Their is no unwritten contract that states that just because a movie is beloved by fans and has been supported by them that the director owes any of us anything.

They didn't force us to go see the movie and we didn't see it out of the good of our hearts so it all boils down to them providing us with something we want and us giving them money in return for it. I don't care if directors want to make changes to their films as long as they allow me to get the version I saw and fell in love with either separately or in a combined package. If they choose not to do that and I don't like the changes they made to the film then I spend my money elsewhere.

13. Bruce Hedtke

Bruce Hedtke Cinematographer

14. Joe_C

Joe_C Supporting Actor

I'm not quite sure myself, but one could take it along the lines that Lucas owes those original fans whose money propelled him into being the man he is today who CAN go back and revise his films. Directors obviously make their films for an audience, and in the case of Star Wars the audience responded rather resoundingly. I guess one can argue that his current success can be linked to the support the fans gave his movies years ago, so in a way, yes he does owe them at least the original versions of those films. I don't completely agree, but whenever I hear the "owes" argument, that is how I interpret it.

15. Paul_D

Paul_D Cinematographer

At the risk of being flamed, here's my opinion. I coulndn't care less how filmmaker's alter their films after release. I've got widescrren VHS copies of the original versions of E.T. (admittedly without the "terrorist" line) and The Star wars Trilogy. That's good enough for me. [​IMG]

16. george kaplan

george kaplan Executive Producer

Well, I'm in better shape than you (I have them on ld), but it's still not good enough for me. At some point your vhs tapes are going to break or wear out and you'll be screwed. My lds will last long enough, but at some point my ld player will break and no one will be able to fix it and I'll be screwed. These should be on dvd in the original versions.