Article: Circuit City to phase out VHS.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Eugene Hsieh, Jun 17, 2002.

1. Eugene Hsieh

Eugene Hsieh Supporting Actor

Article.
    Ironically, this is the same chain that was so pro-Divx not so long ago. Dunno how long the phase out is going to take though.

2. AaronD

AaronD Stunt Coordinator

I saw this mentioned on slashdot, which has had a few HT related threads recently.. Most notably about SACD... But anyway....
    I think what "might" happen at CC is they will stop selling pre-recorded VHS titles. I think there is still a good market for VCR's and blank media for time shifting purposes. Too many people have too many tapes stashed at home, and most wont re-buy something they already have.
    One slashdot poster summed up why VHS will be around for a while: "...and besides, everybody's wedding is on VHS...". [​IMG]
    -Aaron

3. ChrisMatson

ChrisMatson Cinematographer

Have you seen the latest commercial for the Philips DVD recorder. It features a couple replacing their VHS wedding tape with a newly recorded DVD. It is the future.

I agree that there will continue to be a market for VCRs (hey, people still buy audio tape decks) for some time to come. Blank tapes will continue to sell well.

4. Steve Simm

Steve Simm Stunt Coordinator

I used to have a huge VHS collection- back when I didn't have any other choice available to me- but only have about 10 or so now. I gave all my tapes to my brother and I honestly can't remember the last time I watched VHS. It is hard to watch after DVD quality. I can see VHS going away although it may take a few years or more to happen.

5. AaronD

AaronD Stunt Coordinator

Chris,

I agree, DVD+-=^~*%R is the wave of the future... I personally can't wait. But, the average person doesn't care nearly as much as you or I, so it will take a long time.

Steve,

I know people who still have huge VHS collections, it will just take time. I don't like VHS after DVD either, but people like my parents still don't see the difference...The most high tech thing in their house is a CD player, and that gets very limited use. For people like that it will take even longer.

-Aaron

6. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Aaron said:

7. AaronD

AaronD Stunt Coordinator

I never even noticed tapes disappeared until one day I thought "Hey, where are the tapes" and realized there wasn't any. It's not that I was looking to buy any, but I was just curious.

-Aaron

8. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Aaron, same here. One day, I walked into Best Buy and noticed that the tapes were gone. As I said, they didn't die a slow death. It happened in "one swift stroke", to quote Grand Moff Tarkin. [​IMG]

9. Keith Mickunas

Keith Mickunas Cinematographer

The interesting thing is this announcement came three years and one day since the death of divx. It couldn't be any closer to three years since the 16th was Sunday. Could this have been planned?

10. Jon Duke

Jon Duke Stunt Coordinator

Having worked at "The City" as recently as a month ago, we all knew this was coming. My store manager had been saying the company would be going out of VHS within a year, but I figured he was blowing smoke... What do I know?!

I sure hope PVR's or DVD-RAM's drop in price to make up for the loss of a vital part of the American household. We all hate the negatives associated with VHS, but that medium did quite a bit to bring Home Theaters into more homes.

11. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne

12. ChrisMatson

ChrisMatson Cinematographer

From what I understand, you can record from any camcorder to DVD, just like you would record to VHS.

13. Eugene Hsieh

14. AllanN

AllanN Supporting Actor

15. Eugene Hsieh

Remember the format "war" is a bit moot. If you get a DVD+R drive the DVD+R discs will most likely work in your DVD player. If you get a DVD-R drive, the DVD-R discs will most likely work in your DVD player.

Most camcorders will likely NOT be recording in DVD format (aside from some Hitachi ones, etc.). Most will likely use digital video on tape. Digital 8 is a Sony format but the data stream is identical to the MiniDV format, so in the case of wedding videos and saving to DVD it's almost irrelevant if you choose Digital 8 or MiniDV in terms of compatibility. What you'll be doing is connecting the camcorder with a PC or set top DVD recorder, and which DVD recordable format you choose is also going to be almost irrelevant, as long as you have a machine with Firewire capability. (The benefit of Digital 8 over MiniDV is backwards compatibility with analogue tapes, and cheaper media. The benefit of MiniDV over Digital 8 however is wider selection of camcorders, smaller size, and higher end features.)

The current format "war" is more with DVD-RAM vs. DVD-RW vs. DVD+RW, but the current machines that record to these discs also record to DVD-R or DVD+R. (DVD-RAM, DVD-RW, and DVD+RW are not best suited for archival purposes and do not have very high DVD player compatibility.)

16. Ken Garrison

Ken Garrison Supporting Actor

Screw VHS. I want to get a TIVO unit for every room in the house and a network connection allowing us to watch off the TIVO onto the computer or to the other TIVO in either bedroom. That'd be nice to have. Do they make TIVOs like that? It's be so nice to record a program off TV and not have to worry about tapes. We got Tapes up the ying yang. I find myself recording of some. Mostly tapes we recorded Pan and Scan movies on. Now I'm an OAR fan, I just record over them. Pan and Scan ain't worth keeping. I got a copy of Short Circuit 1 and 2 on P&S VHS and I plan on buying the DVDs of them and recording them on the tape, erasing the Pan and Scan crap.

17. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    Yeah, Futureshop up here (Canadian Equivalent of Best Buy) phased out VHS a LONG time ago. I would've thought its the same down there.

Anyways, i didnt hear of any complaints a few months ago when i worked there for awhile...

18. Eugene Hsieh

Nick, Futureshop still sells VCRs. Dunno about VHS movies because the local stores downtown don't sell either DVD or VHS movies.

19. Mike-grouse

Mike-grouse Stunt Coordinator

VCRs are crap and are only useful for home movies nowadays.

Good to see them go but the simple truth is more people own VCRs than DVD players but that number is crambling. Just look how easy it is to add a dvd player to a minivan vs a vcr.

If they're not selling ditch the format.

From a business side of things it's doubtful they would cancel a product that's making money. If it's a loser than let it go. Target, Kmart and Walmart will still sell it so who cares.

Note: when's the last time you cared your VCR was of audiophile and videophile. Point taken I would say.

20. Westly T

Westly T Second Unit

Funny, JVC is releasing their DVHS HDTV recorders and the movies are going to be available in stores as well. The Good Guys is selling JVC's DVHS players for $1400! This player will also play older VHS tapes.

Just as the market is convinced VHS is dead, their tiring to convince them DVHS is the wave of the future. Then they can do the HD-DVD and resale all the equipment yet again. I do have to admit the picture quality of DVHS is amazing; just don't like the limitations of tape. I alos can't see paying $1400 for a tape player that doesn't have the new DVI interface.