Arthur C. Clarke ?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Zen Butler, Mar 4, 2003.

1. Zen Butler

Zen Butler Producer

Zen K. Butler
    This should be painless.

I've been more of a Philip K. Dick fan over the years. There is one Arthur C. Clarke book though, that I have returned to almost annually since it came out : The Songs of Distant Earth. I was suprised to find that it has met mixed reviews over the years.

How do other Clarke fans rate this book? reasons?

Thank You

BTW: I find the book very somber, poetic and touching. A very different SF book.

2. Jay Taylor

Jay Taylor Supporting Actor

Zen,

Thanks for the heads-up on The Songs of Distant Earth. I read the customer reviews at Amazon & will order it.

Jay Taylor

3. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Songs of Distant Earth is middle-ground Clarke, expanding on a shorter work from two decades earlier.

There is one Arthur Clarke novel I return to on an annual basis: Earthlight, from 1949. Lovely little novel and a wonderful evocation of working and living on the Moon.

4. BrianW

BrianW Cinematographer

Brian
    In general, I find that Clarke's early works are his best. And his collaborative works with GL are occasionally very good, but more often disappointing. Even so, if I could write something only as good as his worst novel, I’d be ten times the writer I am today, plus two!

Jack, you get an A+ for spelling!

5. Zen Butler

Zen Butler Producer

Zen K. Butler

6. Eric Kahn

Eric Kahn Guest

read "Imperial Earth" by Clarke

great book

7. BrianW

BrianW Cinematographer

Brian
    Dang it! It's been so long since I've read Clarke, and this thread is making me regret that.

8. Yee-Ming

Yee-Ming Producer

Yee Ming Lim
    sheesh, I've read plenty of Clarke's stuff (mostly borrowed from the library) but some was read a pretty long time ago and I'm sorry to say I can't remember much of Songs of Distant Earth.

all I can say is, to this day I look out for Clarke stuff which I haven't read yet. don't miss his short stories either, there's a convenient new-ish compilation which has most of them in one two-inch volume.

9. Edwin-S

Edwin-S Producer
    Supporter

Cannot comment on "Songs of Distant Earth" as I haven't read it. "Rendezvous with Rama" and "Childhoods End" are two of his early works that I really like. I thought "Fountains of Paradise" wasn't too bad. He collaborated "On Light of Other Days". I liked the book because of the concept of manipulating micro-worm holes for spying purposes and the social effects of such a device.

10. Jack Briggs

Rendezvous is not an "early" work; it was first serialized in the old Galaxy magazine in 1973, and won the Hugo for Best Novel at the 1974 Worldcon.

Childhood's End, though, is an earlier work, from 1953. And it's arguably, along with Against the Fall of Night, his best novel.

11. Charles J P

Charles J P Cinematographer

CJ Paul
    I've only ever read Childhoods End, and now I sort of remember liking it, but I'm not sure if its becasue I really like it or if its because of fond memories around the time I read that book. My junior and senior year in college I took a several electives where the primary work for the class was reading classic or modern classic lit. Those were probably the fondest two years of my life. Sorry for not adding any more to the discussion.

12. Edwin-S

Edwin-S Producer
    Supporter

Rendezvous is not an "early" work; it was first serialized in the old Galaxy magazine in 1973, and won the Hugo for Best Novel at the 1974 Worldcon.
    ------------------------------------------------------------

I stand corrected, although I was sort of using the term "early" in relation to his later works which, although readable, are not nearly as good as his earlier works.

HUH?! [​IMG] Does that make any sense. [​IMG]

13. Jack Briggs

I sorta see where ya comin' from, Edwin. [​IMG]