Artemis Fowl (2020)

Jake Lipson

Executive Producer
Premium
Reaction score
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Disney has long owned the El Capitan Theatre in Hollywood as one of the government-approved exceptions to the rule.

Malcolm R

Executive Producer
Reaction score
Real Name
Malcolm
I have not read the books. Just watched the trailer and I found myself having a hard time believing a kid can save the world. But what about Harry Potter, I bought into that premise. Yeah, but Harry wasn’t ready at first. It took several novels and movies to get him ready. Artemis is jumping into the deep end of the pool right away, I presume.
I'm not sure there's much of a connection to HP, aside from a young boy dealing with a world of magical beings. Artemis is oozing with ego and confidence that HP never had. He's a prodigy/genius and views himself as a criminal mastermind, leading his family's criminal empire after his father disappears. His motivations, at least in the beginning of the story, are only selfishness and greed. To pull a quote from Wikipedia: "Artemis is cold, cynical, and often outright ruthless in his manipulation of people for his own ends." I guess he'd be more like Draco Malfoy. ;)

Of course, people can change, and there are eight books in the series. Reportedly, the film mostly centers on the first book, with a few elements from the second ("The Arctic Incident").

The film has been in various stages of development since 2001, as Disney bought the film rights even before the first book was published.

Jake Lipson

Executive Producer
Premium
Reaction score
Real Name
Jake Lipson
The film has been in various stages of development since 2001, as Disney bought the film rights even before the first book was published.
Not only that, but Disney actually is the publisher of the books. The original editions, which I had, were published through Mirimax Books, back when Disney still owned that company. Harvey Weinstein was going to produce the film until...well, you know.

The connection to Harry Potter isn't so much in terms of plot, but that Disney obviously once intended for this to be a series of films that could rival Harry Potter in popularity, except that the books aren't on that level of popularity to begin with, and they've waited too long to capture it at the height of its popularity in any case.

I read the first two when they were brand new and remember liking them well enough but for whatever reason didn't continue with the rest of the series. I was in middle school then (middle school!) and now I'm well past being done with college. I think they missed their window on this one a long time ago.

Jake Lipson

Executive Producer
Premium
Reaction score
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Has anybody watched this on Disney+?
It's not up yet. The recent announcement was only that it will be forgoing its theatrical release which was scheduled for May 29. They did not indicate when it will actually arrive on Disney+. It's not clear whether Disney+ will stick to the May 29 date that it would have gone out in theaters or if they will reschedule it.

Jake Lipson

Executive Producer
Premium
Reaction score
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Per Disney's social media, the movie will be available on Disney+ on June 12. This is two weeks later than its now-scuttled theatrical release date, which had been scheduled for May 29.

Reactions: benbess

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
degroof