Artemis Fowl (2020)

Jake Lipson

Executive Producer
Premium
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Disney has long owned the El Capitan Theatre in Hollywood as one of the government-approved exceptions to the rule.

Malcolm R

Film Editor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I have not read the books. Just watched the trailer and I found myself having a hard time believing a kid can save the world. But what about Harry Potter, I bought into that premise. Yeah, but Harry wasn’t ready at first. It took several novels and movies to get him ready. Artemis is jumping into the deep end of the pool right away, I presume.
I'm not sure there's much of a connection to HP, aside from a young boy dealing with a world of magical beings. Artemis is oozing with ego and confidence that HP never had. He's a prodigy/genius and views himself as a criminal mastermind, leading his family's criminal empire after his father disappears. His motivations, at least in the beginning of the story, are only selfishness and greed. To pull a quote from Wikipedia: "Artemis is cold, cynical, and often outright ruthless in his manipulation of people for his own ends." I guess he'd be more like Draco Malfoy. ;)

Of course, people can change, and there are eight books in the series. Reportedly, the film mostly centers on the first book, with a few elements from the second ("The Arctic Incident").

The film has been in various stages of development since 2001, as Disney bought the film rights even before the first book was published.

Jake Lipson

Executive Producer
Premium
Real Name
Jake Lipson
The film has been in various stages of development since 2001, as Disney bought the film rights even before the first book was published.
Not only that, but Disney actually is the publisher of the books. The original editions, which I had, were published through Mirimax Books, back when Disney still owned that company. Harvey Weinstein was going to produce the film until...well, you know.

The connection to Harry Potter isn't so much in terms of plot, but that Disney obviously once intended for this to be a series of films that could rival Harry Potter in popularity, except that the books aren't on that level of popularity to begin with, and they've waited too long to capture it at the height of its popularity in any case.

I read the first two when they were brand new and remember liking them well enough but for whatever reason didn't continue with the rest of the series. I was in middle school then (middle school!) and now I'm well past being done with college. I think they missed their window on this one a long time ago.

Jake Lipson

Executive Producer
Premium
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Has anybody watched this on Disney+?
It's not up yet. The recent announcement was only that it will be forgoing its theatrical release which was scheduled for May 29. They did not indicate when it will actually arrive on Disney+. It's not clear whether Disney+ will stick to the May 29 date that it would have gone out in theaters or if they will reschedule it.

Jake Lipson

Executive Producer
Premium
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Per Disney's social media, the movie will be available on Disney+ on June 12. This is two weeks later than its now-scuttled theatrical release date, which had been scheduled for May 29.

Reactions: benbess

Mysto

Screenwriter
Real Name
marv long
The reviews for this are terrible. Looks like a big miss for D+ and lucky they didn't try to release it in theaters.

Jake Lipson

Executive Producer
Premium
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I don't think they're looking at it as a miss for Disney+ because I don't think the intention was to make Disney+ look good in this situation. I think Disney just looked at the film and wanted to dump it because they could smell a stinker. The pandemic provided them a convenient excuse to do so. The making-of series about Frozen II is about boosting Disney+. Hamilton is about Disney+. This one is just about Disney not having to waste any more money promoting a theatrical release for something they've lost faith in.

That being said, I'm morbidly curious so I am going to watch it a bit later. I'll report back.

Malcolm R

Film Editor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
If it ever shows up on blu-ray, I'll buy it. But I'm not going to subscribe to D+.

Jake Lipson

Executive Producer
Premium
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Wouldn't buying the hypothetical Blu-ray be more expensive than subscribing for one month of Disney+? If you really want to see it that badly, you could subscribe to D+ for a one-week free trial, watch it and then cancel before being charged. Although I doubt it's worth doing that on behalf of this particular film.

Malcolm R

Film Editor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
It's more the idea of having to create yet another account/login/password, more than the money. Plus, I don't think I have any device that will play D+, so that would also add to the expense side to buy a Roku or whatever.

Reactions: Jake Lipson

Colin Jacobson

Lead Actor
Senior HTF Member
It seems like Disney has one misfire every year now (The Nutcracker in 2018 and Malificent last year) so pandemic or not, I think this was the one for this year.
I wouldn't view the "Maleficent" sequel as a box office "misfire".

It underperformed the original but it didn't bomb. It still made nearly $500m worldwide...

• Agreed
Reactions: Robert Crawford

Edwin-S

Lead Actor
Premium
The CG could have been more refined but I think the film is getting a bad rap; although, I do find that is an odd choice of film for Branagh to direct.

MatthewA

Lead Actor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
He directed the 2015 Cinderella and it got good reviews, so he has experience with fantasy films.

SamT

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Just "watched" it. This was magical. I was full ready to see it, watched the first 20 minutes in full attention and then magically fell asleep. I tried so hard to stay awake, couldn't save my life. Kept seeing minutes of it and dozing off the moment the action started. Again waked up when it got quite and there was dialog. It was quite magical and annoying this strange occurrence.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Premium
Real Name
Tony D.
It will be the featured topic of discussion on The FlopHouse podcast later on this week.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bats8711