What's new

artefact free! (1 Viewer)

Lee_eel

Second Unit
Does anyone own a movie that is completely free of digital artefacts such as pixellation, edge enhancement and motion artefacts?

Tom_Bechet

Second Unit
Does anyone know a perfect movie?:D

Nothing's perfect, but after watching One Hour Photo gets close (the DVD artefacts thing), maybe direct to digitals like Toy story and Monsters Inc, Ice age...

Kwang Suh

Supporting Actor
My Big Fat Greek Wedding - Canadian version. No EE. No pixelization. No compression artifacts. No sound crackling. It's a joy to watch and listen.

Daniel J

Stunt Coordinator
considering the pixel-based video format used for DVD, I would have to say that it's an impossibility.
Even most film prints are digitized at some point, aren't they?

TedD

Supporting Actor
Fast and the Furious is an overprocessed DVD that bears no resemblance to the original 35mm prints.

To me a good film based DVD looks like the 35mm source from whence it came.

Ted

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
All lossy compression, by its very nature, has artifacts.

At a minimum, all consumer MPEG video contains dither or banding that most people can learn to detect.

Whether or not those artifacts are noticeable or objectionable depends on the hardware used and the perceptiveness (and opinion) of the observer.

Kwang Suh

Supporting Actor
All lossy compression, by its very nature, has artifacts.
Yes, but, the compression can be done so that the artifacts are very, very hard to notice. I'd call that a "perfect" transfer - as good as the medium allows. Obviously a 70mm print is going a bazillion times better than the DVD, no matter how "perfect" the DVD is.

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
Off the topic (kinda) ..... But does anyone else experience a thin white line of light just above the lower black bar while watching widescreen films, of any ratio, on a 4x3 TV?

This happens when I view anamorphic DVDs (with 16:9 Mode engaged).

It's not real distracting, just annoying knowing it's *not* supposed to be present.

It's just a very thin ray of light creeping into the bottom bar. And never all the way across the bottom bar, either. Just the left 75%. And only intermittently.

Any ideas?

(Thanks. :))

Lee_eel

Second Unit
Yes, i get these bars but on a widescreen set. Not terribly distracting but they are there!

Aaron Cohen

Second Unit
On my widescreen tv when watching 2.35:1 films, I can see at the very top and very bottom of the picture frame thin black lines. I believe I was told that they are a compression artifact of sorts, a way to ease the picture into the black letterboxing of the frame.....I could be way off here....but they are in all 374 of my dvd's. I don't notice them on the 1.85:1 films as the overscan hides them though.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks