Art of Sound subwoofers

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Newell, Oct 6, 2002.

1. Newell

Newell Extra

Anybody got an opinion on Art of Sound subwoofers (artofsound.net)?

2. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

Looks to be solid designs, but very expensive.
    I only recognize two of the drivers. The Jazzmon is using a Dayton 12" Titanic driver (~$150) and a 300W plate amp (~230). Acoustic Visions or Rutledge Audio could build you the same sub for ~$1000.
    The Subzilla is using a Seismic 8196. North Creek Audio sells a version of that driver for ~$800 I think, called the Leviathon. $300-$600 for an amp and then the enclosure. So again Acoustic Visions or Rutledge Audiocould build you one for approximately half that cost.
    Oh and the Sonnet appears to be the GR-Research AV1. Everything but the enclosure sells in kit form for $229. And again Acoustic Visions or Rutledge Audio could build you a nicely veneered enclosure for significantly less than they are asking.

3. Geoff L

Geoff L Screenwriter

What Dustin says dose hold truth, but at the same time it looks as though they build a very high quaity product and if your interested in them go forth and look/listen....

The one thing I did notice, is the amps their useing! "Nice", but their freq respose given for the subs mentioned lead me to belive their may be some equlization inside them on some sub designs. Only a guess from the spec's and components used. You obviously would have to ask to find out for sure...

Did you check out their custom jobs! Some very nice looking and interesting stuff their....

Again I will mention that Dustains remarks hold true here as far as the "subs he mentioned", they could be built by the smaller CO's he brings forth, much cheaper and in a finish and style of your choice....

Something to think about if cash is an issue at all. Why pay more if you don't have to for the same performance.....

Regards
    Geoff

4. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

Didn't check out the costum area. The Symphony's at the end for $15,000. AlphaLS kit from GR Research is under $2k and could be completed by either of the above places for ~$4k. Now if the $15k included the design of a crossover that would meet or come close to Danny's standards it's a different story. $15k is very reasonable.

5. Darren_T

Darren_T Second Unit

I just checked the site out. While the prices seem pretty steep, the quality of workmanship appears to be quite good. This is all assuming they pass the "in person" inspection. I'm gonna guess that the quality is as good as it looks based on the prices they appear to be successful attaining.
    Being a woodworker myself the prices don't seem bad since I'm aware of the labor for such custom work as many of you are I'm sure. But when you consider the DIY savings the price really seems steep doesn't it? [​IMG]
    They certainly have some nice work displayed there though.
    Darren

6. Geoff L

Geoff L Screenwriter

Yes it appears as though they definitly do quailty wood work!!!
    Pics can lie of course, and also make something look worse than it is. But as As Darren stated, if the products were not of the quailty and performance how could one stay in business for long charging that kida of dough! I would belive that they are top notch all the way around to continue to be around.
    If I could "afford their prices" and were "interested in a speaker or sub product" I certainy would check them out. But that won't be happening period, I'll build my own thank you,[​IMG] as cash I like to keep in my very thin wallet..
    Custom wood work dose not come cheap, and they appear to use some of the best parts, components, and other goodies in the in the industry. And they get top dollar for doing so, for sure! And their custom jobs, well that just SCARY to think about wanting a special size, finish and design.....
    As that comerical says, WHATS IN YOUR WALLET...![​IMG]

7. Geoff L

Geoff L Screenwriter

Jack your way under priced on your beautiful high quailty PR'ed Sub!

That would easily go 4-5 grand threw Art of Sound I would think...?

This is a perfect demonstation (Jacks Sub Pic) of a DIY sub with outstanding performance and the compared cost ratio that Art of Sound seems to charge for sub products with simalar performance and finish.

As Dustin made clear, the same subs at A.O.S. could be built by Acoustic Vision or Rutledge for a whole lot less money and sacrafice nothing in performance or finish.

Please, I am not bashing AOS! Just they definitly get "very big bucks" for their high quailty products.

8. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

One think most people don't understand is the value of custom cabinet work. While the prices of the products from Art of Sound are higher than what I would charge, I think the quality of the products are probably in line with what you'd get for a the same money retail. Well, except for those pseudo "line arrays".

Also, if they've got big money local clients and they're willing to pay that for something to fit into their decor, then more power to them!

Brian

9. Geoff L

Geoff L Screenwriter

Newell,

I think you can draw from the comments to this point, they build excellent products!

A little pricey, but appears anything you want in design, performance, or decor they can handel.... at a price though!

10. Newell

Newell Extra

Thanks all for taking the time to respond. I'm in "get a second sub" fetish mode and have been agonizing over my selection. I have a REL Storm III with VA Bachs/Haydns now in a room 18' x 18' with 14' vaulted ceilings. Sherbourn 5/1500 with Rotel 1080 DVD, and the Outlaw pre/pro (have room treatments from Tune Villa).

Overall, the systems sounds killer, just needs a tad more "slam". Thought I'd run the second sub with the LFE and the REL with the Speakon connector or, depending on which sub I get, use a "y" splitter for the LFE for both subs and use the Speakon (w/ another REL or AOS) to run one sub off the main speakers and the second off the rears.

Some helpful(?) subwoofer comments I've gotten so far:

"Don't mix different brands of subs in the same room".

"Get the HSU VTF-3"

"Get another REL" (suprise recommendation from the ever pleasant Kathleen at Sumiko)

"Revel B15 will fix your room problems"

Everytime I think I've made up my mind, something changes. Anywho, here's what I'm considering so far (by the way, I have four cats w/claws):

Art of Sound Maximus with "cat proof" metal grills

Another REL (Stadium III or Q401E)

HSU VTF-3

Revel B15 (can't believe fake wood at this price point)

Genesis 928 (know they are out of business but Walter in Atlanta selling them with a one year P/L warrantly for under $1k).

ACI Titan II

Aerial SW 12 (really out of my budget though)

By the way, no SVS (don't like the tubes).

Any thoughts/comments would be muchly appreciated.

11. Geoff L

Geoff L Screenwriter

Newell
    Do you have a percentage of listening preferance?
    50-50% ~~ 80-20% etc, Music-HT
    Dose your music listening contain much organ pipe music?
    And whats your budget max?
    Tubes are out, and kittys are on patrol, got that! [​IMG]

12. Newell

Newell Extra

I'd say 80% HT and 20% music (really love those AIX records DVDs in DVD audio...fantastic sound). Pipe organ yes (big Bach fan, but tastes varies from classical to hard rock).

Max budget is around $2600 (preferably less) and I typically negotiate for around 20 points off since I used to sell high fi stuff back in the mid-80s (part time via mail order only with Internation Hi Fi out of Baltimore, now out of business) and have established credibility with some dealers across the country as a result of this experience.

My goal is to get a sub that has the musicality of the REL Storm III with a tad more slam. I'm soon to be 51 so I'm not interested in the kind of bass that someone would have in a Civic with colored headlights.

As Kathlene at Sumiko so eloquently put it "Good bass isn't cheap and cheap bass isn't good". By the way, the folks at Sumiko are great to deal with and Kathlene used to live in Savannah. In fact, her folks live on Jekyll Island about an hour from me and that will be the site of her upcoming marriage this April.

I sent her a small gift recently in appreciation of her giving me some advice on subs: pink baseball hat with "Hertz So Good" on the front.

Thanks much for your help.

13. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Producer

Alright, $2500, but that's it, bro'. This is real Formica we're talking about, here, not some knock-off crap.

14. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

15. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

Come on Brian, for $2500 you could at least install 4 of the 15" PE IB drivers :p)

16. Robert_Gaither

Robert_Gaither Screenwriter

I'd also take a look at some of the VMPS subs, Adire Audio Subs, Brian's, Stryke, and Kyle (Accoustic Visons) as well. I still think the subs offered are up to par to the price compared to many that one could find in a boutique store, it's just that when compared to prices one sees for raw components just doesn't seem to make the price as attractive.

17. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Producer

18. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Dustin,
    I did say I could come in under that budget! [​IMG] I think 4 of them would be a lot of fun! When my dad upgrades again we'll do two in his attic right about his TV and center channel. I'll have pics of his HT to post before long. Just a few cosmetic issues to take care of and we're done.
    Brian